Skip to main content
Topic: Another one gone (Read 1175 times) previous topic - next topic

Another one gone

My buddy wrecked my 83 cougar today. He's okay but the cars probably s.

Borrowed it to him when his girlfriend kicked him out so he could drive to and from work. Guy ran a yellow making a left hand turn and tboned him. He went to the hospital but is gonna be fine. Just sore, nothing broken and maybe some soft tissue damage.on the plus side, his girl friend took him back home.

Wheel was pushed in pretty far, windshield is smashed in. Floor and steering column stayed put. Had to use jaws and take a fire axe to the drivers side tires to get the door open. Said it took over 45 minutes to get the door open. Car was pretty clean, old paint but barely a dent on it and only around 110K miles.

We require insurance, my car had state minimums with a high deductible, other guy (newer car, I didn't see it) had no insurance.

Moral of the story, get a lower deductible, don't borrow your car to a friend, and I'll think harder at full coverage next time. Think it was only $25 more a month. Should have $25k uninsured coverage if I remember right, should cover hospital bills. Other driver wasn't hurt.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Another one gone

Reply #1
Glad to hear your buddy is okay, what a bummer of a day.

You both might look at suing the other driver in civil court.  The cost is minimal and you might be surprised on getting a settlement.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Another one gone

Reply #2
Yep, my sister-in-law got rear-ended in a parking lot by an uninsured drunk driver. She sued him and he had to pay 10k. Granted, the car probably only had 2k worth of damage (just a dented plastic bumper and cracked tail lamp).

So suing does work sometimes.

But shouldn't your friend's car insurance cover his injuries since he was driving? I don't know how that works.

But let's hear it for fox tbirds/cougars, right? They can sure take a hit. I have seen many smashed ones in junk yards, and they all looked survivable.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Another one gone

Reply #3
The other guy was at fault. and no insurance? You need to lawyer up, and now. Expect to see some court dates, your buddy too.
Hang that non-attentive shagstick by the balls, LOL
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Another one gone

Reply #4
Signed away the title today to the towing company. Under the advise of my insurance company. I'm liable for all towing and storage fees until I sue. Insurance has finished their investigation, was found not at fault. Gotta wait for the official police report to see what we are gonna do. Insurance said the car is totaled (floor is pushed up, windshield cracked and front end crooked. Guy hit square in the drivers side wheel and bounced off. His entire front bumper is wedged behind the drivers side wheel against the floor).

If I do anything, its gonna be a lawyer, but I'm not gonna drop a dime. Other guy wasn't hurt, my buddy is gonna sue for medical expenses once we know what is and what isn't covered for sure.

I don't wanna sue anyone, but they guy essentially ran a red left turn light and ran into the side of my buddy.

Insurance said based on all interviews that my buddy had a green light and the other guy ran a yellow arrow as it turned red a floored the car chirping the tires as he accelerated around other traffic and turned right into him.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com