Skip to main content
Topic: What to do? (Motor mounts) (Read 3416 times) previous topic - next topic

What to do? (Motor mounts)

So, by now, most of you know that I'm no longer building motor mounts, of any sort.

As much of a thing as it was for me, I just do not have time in my life for it these days.

Over the 15 years that I built them, I was kind of surprised that no other options sprang up, as I'm sure folks had alternative ways to do things.

Anyway, where I'm at is I'm not sure what I want to do with all of my information. All I do know is that I really have no time to put to these any more, at least not outside of anything for my own personal use. I barely have time for my own projects these days, much less those of other people. I get 1-2 emails a week still from people looking for mounts, and I feel bad having to turn them away.

At this point, if someone was interested in taking over building and supplying these to our weird little niche of enthusiasts, I'd be happy to entertain an offer for the exchange of information (drawings, dospoogeentation, weld jigs where applicable, etc).

Anyway, that's where things are with me on this, so if you're interested in carrying the banner forward, get in touch.

For all that have bought mounts over the years (and I have a record of EVERY set of mounts I've sold), thanks for your support.

Chuck
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #1
I've still got a set, and they're still solid, and apart from a small spot of surface rust, nearly new in appearance. Good to go. Thanks for a quality made in America product, Chuck.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
Chuck, has anybody expressed interest in taking over making the mounts?

I would hate for the community to lose access to some of the few parts that people are willing to make for our cars.  I have a welder and lots of time on my hands but I wouldn't want to take over if I couldn't offer a similar quality product.  Would you be able to give me a breakdown of the manufacturing/parts sourcing process?
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #3
People have expressed interest, but no one has really done any follow up. I give a starting number for everything  (There are more than just the 5.0 TBird mounts), but no one has given any offers.

I outsourced the laser cutting/bending and some bulk cutting of the raw parts and powdercoating.
I did some minor machining work on parts and cutting on other pieces that weren't just cut -to-length stuff. I did all of the welding, packaging, ordering of bushings/hardware and shipping.

Most of the stuff was just getting all of the pieces together and welding them up. Outside of the Merkur stuff, most of the "machine work" was just cutting 3" OD round tube to the proper length.

At one time, I had gone through my materials costs, fab/welding time, outsourcing costs, misc materials, etc, just to figure out a reasonable "retail" price. Things changed over the years and my overhead was pretty much nil.

At the end, I was just doing small random batches of stuff, and that cut into margins, as it wasn't very efficient. I didn't want to just be sitting on parts however.

Reply #4
I'll send you an email.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #5
Any chance a company like CHE or Maximum Motorsports would take this on?  I mean I hate to go there but CHE would seem to be the more apt to take it on and hopefully they would understand that at demand would be on the low side i.e. build 20 sets or so and restock at 5 maybe.  Chuck's prices were super low but I would not expect much of a jump with all of their resources.  This would include the rear shock adapters and even the super subframe braces.

Just a thought...

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #6
Quote from: Aerocoupe;460955
Any chance a company like CHE or Maximum Motorsports would take this on?  I mean I hate to go there but CHE would seem to be the more apt to take it on and hopefully they would understand that at demand would be on the low side i.e. build 20 sets or so and restock at 5 maybe.  Chuck's prices were super low but I would not expect much of a jump with all of their resources.  This would include the rear shock adapters and even the super subframe braces.

Just a thought...

*shrug*

I've had 1 person continue the conversation after I put out a starting number for EVERYTHING (All active motor mount types, which is 6-7). I owe them a couple pictures, and then conversations may continue. Still probably won't be for everything (Prob just the 2.3T stuff)

Everyone else has gone silent and not even mentioned any kind of counter offer, or even replied period. Not a peep.

I'm not begging for anyone to take things over, I just can't support it myself any longer. I think I've turned away 5-6 people in the last 2 weeks. Sure, I'd take their money if I had time to build mounts, but I don't.

The drawings for the shock brackets and set braces are uploaded for free on this site. Anyone can access those.

Reply #7
Hi Chuck, I own a machine shop in Manitoba Canada.
We would be interested in making mounts and whatever else may be required.
I just finished my 1983 Cougar LS, built the 302, gt40 heads, headman headers, Edlebrock performer and 600 carb and accomplish cam
We have done automotive machining, shortened drive shafts and more
Rick Ross

Reply #8
OK, there is something in the works here (Not Rick. Sorry, Rick).

Stay tuned. No timeline yet, but once things are more concrete, I'll spread the word!

Reply #9
So I'll take a set of 2.3T mounts.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #10
Quote from: Tbird232ci;462320
So I'll take a set of 2.3T mounts.

I'm out of that business now.

Waiting on the new supplier to get things rolling.

Reply #11
Quote from: Chuck W;462326
I'm out of that business now.

Waiting on the new supplier to get things rolling.

I know. I read the thread.

Doesn't mean I'm going to listen ;)
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #12
you got mail
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone