Skip to main content
Topic: The new daily (Or "Why Chuck hasn't been building mounts for a couple months") (Read 2979 times) previous topic - next topic

The new daily (Or "Why Chuck hasn't been building mounts for a couple months")

So, some of you may remember my post from about two years ago Death of a Volvo. When the '85 died, I was driving a 245 wagon as my daily and picked up a 2-door for playing around with. Well, the wagon got old and I found myself wanting another 4-door as a driver.
Back in March I drove up to Sheboygan and brought this back.

It's an '80 264GLE. Originally a 6 cyl/auto car that had been sitting since about 1995 with what was thought to have been a dead motor. ((bad headgasket was the rumor)

It looked OK, but underneath was a mess.  I've had to go through every thing, replacing the fuel system, redoing the brakes, (some) new suspension stuff, etc.  I also had all of the bits from the '85 turbo car. You can see where this is going...

The end result (forgive the bad cell phone pic, and the snow-covered shots from Snowpocalypse last week)

Main goal was to get it on the road, as that yellow '77 2-door is NOT the car I wanted to be driving in the winter...even though it did see some salt. :(

Nothing super fancy right now. 2.1L Turbo Motor with a manual trans, MegaSquirt install that ditched the mechanical fuel injection, better wheels and tires. A few other minor engine mods,  such as a slightly larger cold side on the T3, later model, better-flowing intake and exhaust manifolds, and a full custom-built exhaust.

Still sorting out little details, but it's on the road and out of the workshop now, so motor mounts are being welded up again.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #1
I bet that thing is a tank in the snow.  Luckily we dodged the bad weather, it all went north of us here in southern IN.

Don't take this the wrong way, but that car is so ugly its cool!  I like odd-ball stuff that has been tastefully modified so I can appreciate what you've done to the car.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #2
Nifty! You should name it the Smurf. ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #3
The car's actual "unofficial" name is "Delores (from Sheboygan).

A friend made some comment about "Volvo" sounding like a "naughty bit", then a buddy replied with "Mulva?". If you've seen the Seinfeld episode, you know what I'm talking about.

Reply #4
Very cool !

I've had 2 80's volvos one turbo one na
I made the turbo one a rally car that thing road like a caddy doing 60 down a dirt road lol

Btw it looks killer on the tri bars

Reply #5
Somehow it doesn't seem wrong to see snow on a Volvo!

I like it.

Reply #6
Quote from: Chuck W;427312
The car's actual "unofficial" name is "Delores (from Sheboygan).

A friend made some comment about "Volvo" sounding like a "naughty bit", then a buddy replied with "Mulva?". If you've seen the Seinfeld episode, you know what I'm talking about.

"3rd Rock From the Sun"...

Dr. Mary Albright: For future reference: I have a red Volvo.

Dr. Dick Solomon: Please, Dr. Albright, we barely know each other.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #7
Cool. Those old Volvos are pretty awesome.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #8
Quote from: 50tbrd88;427308
Don't take this the wrong way, but that car is so ugly its cool!  I like odd-ball stuff that has been tastefully modified so I can appreciate what you've done to the car.

You remember that I've had 2  '80 Cougar XR-7's, right? ;)

Reply #9
Hey Chuck W, have you even gone on the ProTouring.com site. There is a guy that builds some killer looking early Volvos on there. I am not a Volvo fan (No Offense) but this guy really creates some cool stuff. Here is a link to his build thread. http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/80176-Volvo-X-%281967-Pro-Touring-Amazon%29
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 T-Bird V6 C5
91 F-150 5.0L 5spd
93 Mustang LX 351C C4
2013 Honda CRV AWD

Reply #10
Quote from: Fordracer08;427343
Hey Chuck W, have you even gone on the ProTouring.com site. There is a guy that builds some killer looking early Volvos on there. I am not a Volvo fan (No Offense) but this guy really creates some cool stuff. Here is a link to his build thread. http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/80176-Volvo-X-%281967-Pro-Touring-Amazon%29

That guy is building a bad name for himself in regards to delivering product that people have paid for.

Reply #11
I don't think the guy is going to win a Riddler Award anytime soon, but you have to admit it is a platform you don't see used very often and he didn't just bolt parts onto it and call it a modified car. That old Volvo looks pretty cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 T-Bird V6 C5
91 F-150 5.0L 5spd
93 Mustang LX 351C C4
2013 Honda CRV AWD

Reply #12
Nice work, Chuck.  I haven't owned a Volvo yet but I would like to have a mid 90s wagon to play around with at some point.  I love the look of them, very sleepy.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #13
Have you ever seen Michael Yount's 5.0 Volvo over on the Corral?  You two have gone different directions in power plants but still cool to see something like that under the hood when you least expect it.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #14
"YEEEEEAHHH it's the Volvo two-forty. Designed in the SEVENTIES, NO air conditioning and the official car of the cold war. This thing's a Frankenstein monster of function over form. It's so slow, that if one of these rolled out of Doc's van, Marty wouldn't have been going anywhere." -Mr. Regular
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane