Skip to main content
Topic: 1986 TC won't start (Read 6767 times) previous topic - next topic

1986 TC won't start

Reply #15
Pressure should be around 39psi if I remember correctly.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

1986 TC won't start

Reply #16
Ok great, thanks!
And could it possibly be the fuel pump relay?
1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe "Jenna" 240,000 miles... was running strong until a few months ago... =/

1986 TC won't start

Reply #17
Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on?  If you want to try to listen from under the hood (in case you can't hear it from in the car,) ground the fuel pump pin in the self test connector for a second and see if you hear it then.  To ground it, hook up a jumper wire like this:
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi

1986 TC won't start

Reply #18
Check the fuel pressure, if you don't have any but can hear the fuel pump kick on then it's the hose in the tank.  Mine deteriorated and had to be replaced this past summer.  I had seen someone on this forum talking about that problem, not realizing I had the same thing going on - and I was driving myself crazy checking out every last thing I could think of until I finally bit the bullet and dropped the gas tank.

1986 TC won't start

Reply #19
Sorry about guys having you buy parts you didn't need. Next time, run codes first, then check things not replace them.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

1986 TC won't start

Reply #20
I have had the rubber hose in the tank fall apart too.  I went ahead and changed the pump while I had the tank down.

1986 TC won't start

Reply #21
Ok well since it hasn't ran in about 2 months i don't remember how loud the fuel pump is or isn't. I have two 92 mustang's as well, and the fuel pumps are always ridiculously loud and it doesn't seem like the tbird's fuel pump is very loud at all lol And i haven't actually bought any parts, the TFI was from another engine that was pulled and was running just fine, i had to switch batteries though because the one in the tbird was no good. If i end up replacing the fuel pump would it be worth the money to go for a better walbro one? I might as well ask I mean, right? :)
1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe "Jenna" 240,000 miles... was running strong until a few months ago... =/

1986 TC won't start

Reply #22
Hey guys, I just changed the fuel filter today and still no start. I will pull the fuel pump and replace it as soon as i can lol

1986 TC won't start

Reply #23
what rotten luck! seems like my buddy's 85 supra had it's fuel pump go out as well, oh joy! :O blech!

1986 TC won't start

Reply #24
I couldnt believe these guys were jumping to distributor modules right off the bat. always check your basics first, fuel and spark. If you have a friend or someone easiest way to tell if you got fuel is to listen for the fuel pump to prime when the igntion is turned to run position...really easy way of rulling out the fuel pump or not. Then you check fuel pressure as previously stated by someone, Next is spark and theres lots of ways of checking for that to be honest. So basically it sounds like your fuel pumps more than likly toast, ive heard fuel pumps prime up and they push out nearly nothing for fuel pressure. Also take a look at your stock FPR for fun. Once you've covered the basics then you start trouble shooting other possibilites and cross off the list until youve discovered what it could be.
:birdsmily:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, CenterForce Stage 2 Dual Friction Clutch, B&M Ripper Shifter, T3/T4 Turbonetics 63 A/R Turbo, Rods Stainless Tubular Ceramic Coated Header, Boost Controller @ 15Psi, Kirban AFPR, 42lb Injectors, 190LPH Walbro Fuel pump, Ranger Roller Cam, 3" Aluminum Intake Tubing, K&N Cone,  KYB Struts, Koni Red Horizontals/Verticals, Eibach Sportline Springs, Racer Walsh C/C Plates, Polyurethane Bushings, 17x9 Cobra R Wheels

1986 TC won't start

Reply #25
alright, well i was just tryin to figure out what all to check and how to check them, i appreciate the help even if it might have been a wild goose chase! And for the record i only spent $12 on a fuel filter that probably needed to be replaced anyway. I have spark though, and it looks like the FPR has been replaced before, it's a bosch so i figure it's been replaced? And if i have to change the fuel pump, is it fairly straight-forward to install a walbro 255? Please and thanks!

-Ben

1986 TC won't start

Reply #26
yes, upgrade to a walbro. i'd stick to a 190 or so, unless you know your going to mod it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

1986 TC won't start

Reply #27
Ok, thanks Haystack. But is it fairly simple to put one in?

1986 TC won't start

Reply #28
Quote from: 86tcman;343116
Ok, thanks Haystack. But is it fairly simple to put one in?

The swap is straightforward.  The worst part is putting the tank back up (made harder in my case for reasons I won't go into).  Depending on the condition of the tank, getting the fuel pump out shouldn't be difficult.  The only problem you could run into is if the lock ring has rusted itself to the tank.  I've done this twice on my T-Bird, most recently this past July, and other than having a lot of dirt built up on top of the tank had no problems.  It took most of a day for the work, but I also did a lot of other work while I had the tank down.

You should drain the fuel tank before doing this, and it's recommended that when the tank is down that you have it flushed/cleaned professionally.  I'm not sure how much experience you have with pulling fuel tanks, so don't forget to remove the fuel filler neck first.  I'd get a repair guide or look up the process online before doing this just to be safe.

1986 TC won't start

Reply #29
I've pulled tanks before so its not too bad, but i appreciate the help!