Skip to main content
Topic: Project "Barn Bird" (Read 20778 times) previous topic - next topic

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #60
Looking good!!
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #61
Thanks, I wish I could get it looking good a little faster though!!! LOL

With the headlights/taillights working fully now, I decided to see If the fuel pump was kicking on. Well it isnt so to the Downloaded EVTM I head to see if theres something needed to run it thats not hooked up. If that fails it may need a pump asap, in which case  I will waste no time putting a Walbro 255 in. Im just pecking away at little things right now. Need to get window/moonroof tracks lubed up some as they move but are fighting the tracks and I dont want nothing to break.

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #62
Finally finished putting the dash back together!! Im starting to think Ive got like ADD or something, went to work on it how many times and that never got done!! LOL

Since all my mocking up with the motor is finally done out it came agian so I could finish cleaning the engine bay and lay a little fresh paint. Still havent decided for sure if I keep it blue or paint it black in there though.

Now that mocking up is finished I decided to look over the motor closer and see what gaskets it could use. For sure a valve cover gasket, possibly a cam seal, planning on pulling the oil pan cleaning it up and putting a fresh gasket in. Also decided Im just gonna eliminate the A/C, so that bracket is now removed.

Still lots to do! Had to pull the headlight harness back out to, left fog light isnt getting power so I need to track down where that issue is. Also want to see if theres a way to eliminate the system sentry, could really use the space for some other gauges. Need to find out if theres a plug for the EGR on the manifold as thats where Im going to be putting the EGT probe.

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #63
A little of all over the place on the car today, but my son was helping me!! A/C is officially gone, but I saved as much as I could of it incase someone ends up needing pieces. Found a plug for the EGR port in the manifold that had 1/8"npt already in it, so now theres a place for my EGT probe!! Under hood wires, hoses ran for the boost gauge and EGT gauge. Also slid the gauges into the mod and verified the length I left to hook to them up, still need to run lighting wires(both) and power wires(egt gauge).

And my sons part of the work today, was actually getting the drivers seat in(I had to lift it in place) and both tightened down. I must say he did a good job doing so, just needed a little help moving the seats around. Not to shabby for 9!! Need to re-vacuum though now!!!

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #64
Im gonna post this a little backward from how I was working on it, but its kind of an update from an earlier post. Finally dug into figuring out why the fuel pump isnt kicking on. Well the first part was to make sure I had power to the harness going to it and I did. Then come the dreaded tank drop, one bolt came out no problems and one snapped clean off. Of course dropping the tank dead square on my forehead. Laugh as I know you are!!! LOL  Hardest part was getting the tank off the fill tube and as the pic will show I now know why, which is probably the reason the pump isnt kick on. So Im probably gonna be looking for a fill tube atleast, Ill know more tomorrow when I actually open the tank up. I was beat and had no energy left by the time I finally got it sitting flat on the ground.

Now for the first part of today I was trying to finish up mounts for my front mount. With my not running the A/C I decided the condenser bottom mounts made a perfect place to hold the bottom. Ill just make something simple to make sure it stays put there. Top brackets are made from some s metal that we had laying around, that was even the perfect length!! The pic was taken right after I had the fabbing done, they are getting painted the as we speak!

Now with all this custom stuff to help me get cooler air into the motor I figured I couldnt just let the air filter sit in the hot engine bay. Along with this also going to be a fair weather car!! The filters new location will be infront of the core support, just above the bottom of the bumper cover. The tubing isnt cut to length yet, I was just making sure I could fit it without cutting anything to clear it.

Im going back tomorrow, hopefully Ill get a bunch more done.

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #65
My fears last night were true after getting the tank onto the ground. The tank and everything in it is junk, rusted beyond saving. Luckily I contacted MY10-80 about the one from the parts car, so I believe I may have one tracked down. And yes I know you can buy a new one, but getting all the pieces otherwise would be a pain.

While Im waiting to get the other parts I decide its time to start the body work. First things on the list are Any damage whether it be flaking clear to paint chips. Right now Im just doing small stuff as I need to pick  up a DA and Im gonna put together a hand long board, for making sure body work is straight. Needless to say my arms are tired after all the sanding.

Also need to figure out how this trim comes off so I can work on it an get both sides clean and repainted

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #66
Wow that tank is toast

Lots of progress though

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #67
Ya and the entire inside looks like that. I would have gotten a pic, but I was afraid I would drop my phone into it!!! LOL  The "fuel" that was in there was brown!!  Im trying to progress as fast as I can, without getting in my own way!!! LOL

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #68
How long did the car sit ?

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #69
They figured 5-10 years and Im leaning more to the 10+. Ive found some receipts for some of the new stuff and I think the oldest one is 02 or so. I do know it was sitting right after he bought it, because he had pulled stuff to start the 5 speed swap. So Im figuring close to 2000 is the last time it was driven.

And Im still surprised by the shape the body is in, considering it was on dirt floor the whole time.

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #70
Body work has officially started!!! Looks like the autobody coarses I took back in 99 have finally come in handy, since I never ended up getting a body shop job!! First thing to hit hard core was the areas where the clear was flaking off. I DA'ed all the clear completely off or feathered it smooth depending on the condition of it. Found some paint chips along the way and worked them over to! Theres still gonna be some hand sanding done, but the DA is making it so I can get to the smoothing process alot quicker.

On another couple notes, does anyone here know how hard it would be for me to take the metal windshiel trim off? Also the trim on the doors, other than the stuff that will come off easy once the glass is out. Any suggestions on making/restoring the trim around the quarter window? And last but not least Im looking into hydrographics to see how feasible it would be for some parts!!

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #71
I think I read in one of Vinnies threads he used multi grades of sand paper and brought his quarter window trim back to life?. If not him im sure I read that somewhere....By the way car is coming along nicely.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #72
flylear45 gave me a hint on the quarter window trim that I think Im gonna roll with!!  Ya its starting to, I just wanna get thru the bulk of it and have the parts ready to go in by spring. I really miss driving a Tbird!! But glad everything came together for me to get this one. I have a feeling if I hadnt saved it it may have spent the rest of its life there til it was recycled into a modern car!

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #73
Started using some lacquer thinner to restore the pieces of interior I have here at home. They look 10X better with non of the faded look to them anymore. Thanks to who ever figured that trick out!!! Also finally got as much of the original finish of the valve cover as i could with aircraft stripper. Just a few spots that refused to strip off. So Ill just sand it to finish and then I have to decide what Im gonna do with it. Decisions, decisions!!!

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #74
Sanding, smoothing, emblem removal, and guide coating went on today. I really need to get removing some of the parts that are in the way for the body work!! But Im getting all the big areas right now. So far most of the body has been perfectly straight, so its been just verifying after the clear was knocked down. Hoods completely in primer, decided to let it dry overnight as it got chilly in the shed as I was winding down tonight. Had a few placed I had to bondo, since I found some imperfections. No biggy though, keeping it as thin as possible as I hate a lot of bondo in cars. My son even got in on the sanding, I had him go to the passenger side and start knocking the clear coat down. Didnt do to bad for his first time sanding!!