Skip to main content
Topic: Project "Barn Bird" (Read 21176 times) previous topic - next topic

Project "Barn Bird"

Since I finally have the red TC sold, I can pick up my Barn Find TC. Plans as of right now are pretty big for it, atleast in making it look good right off the bat. The body being relatively clean and just need a little work and paint and a clean up of the entire car inside and out. Other than the underside that will be taken car of first before the drivetrain goes back in, my intial focus will be on getting it mechanically and electrically sound.

I know for sure at a minimum brake wise I will atleast need to either turn the rotors or replace, new pads all the way around, and atleast more than likely rear calipers(we all know why). Engine will be treated to minimum of a full tune up and any thing else it may need. Im gonna need to get a T5 as thats the only thing missing I have found out, looks like Im headed to the u-pull-it soon!!! Im gonna have to de-mouse-nest the entire car and probably clean the entire interior, but they didnt chew the interior so thats a plus! If anyone has the link for the company that sells the moonroof seals also Im gonna need it and cant remember it!!! 

This thread is gonna end up being pic heavy as I get started on it. Plan is to have it cleaned, together and running as of spring. Along with hoping I get paint and some powder coating done by then also. I have hook ups for both so it may work out!!

These pics are taken at its resting place in the barn for the entire time the PO has had it.

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #1
Does anyone know what the paint code would be? Im trying to get from my painting buddy a rough estimate of what it would cost to repaint the car. And until I have the car infront of me its kinda hard to get it!!! I was gonna change the color, but now that Ive stared at the pics more its growing on me!!

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #2
nevermind!!! A bit of searching around the net and I found the answer. 7f is the paint code which also led me to the Ford long code M6290, Twilight Blue.  Im thinking factory color with some metallic tossed in to give the paint a little more depth. In a base/clear of coarse, with plenty of clear to give me plenty of room for wet sanding and buffing to perfection.

I also have a powder coating buddy!! So theres gonna be some things powder coated to!!  Also in the spring he is going to be getting a setup that would allow him to re-chrome the inside of the headlights to factory or better. Im gonna volunteer to be the test pieces!! Ill get the name of the process and let you guys know. If it works like it is supposed to, Im gonna send him here to help out resurrecting our headlights!!

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #3
I have a DVD of a spray-on chrome process. It's way cool!

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #4
Cant wait to see the progress, love a good build thread.
Mike

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #5
Quote from: 1BadBird;422289
I have a DVD of a spray-on chrome process. It's way cool!

That sounds about what he showed me. In the vid he showed me, they did it on a motorcycle fabric seat. And then proceed to show how hard it was to get it to seperate. Looks like it will be the perfect cure for de-chomed headlights.

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #6
Ok boys I need a little advice. Obviously after 25 years the clear has started to come off the rims, my plan is to have them powder coated in some way. Im trying to decide what would look good but cant make up my mind. Especially with color. So Im looking for suggestions from you guys. The skys the limit for what they can get, so nothings to crazy!!

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #7
I just Love when rims partaly match the car or are (don't shoot me) Gloss blacked out

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #8
The Tbird is officially mine!!! Along with a bunch of parts, some of which I have to go back for since I ran out of room in the truck!!! I also in the process found out why its in such good shape, when they handed my the title. Its originally a Tennessee car, they never registered it or even signed the title. The more I look at stuff on/in the car the more impressed I am and happy I took the deal!! But without further wait, heres some fresh from the barn pics. Ill get some cleaned up pics tomorrow after a stop at the carwash.

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #9
Haha wonder what lies underneath all that  on the car! ;)

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #11
Got some stuff done today. On the way to its winter home I stopped at the car wash  and got it as clean as I could, had to stop at the $10 mark!! LOL  Once out at my FIL's, I started to clean it out and the windows, also vacuumed the trunk and interior. Its starting to look good agian!! Got pics of everything that was in the trunk and off the top of my head its got to be close to $500 or more of stuff. All new! The only thing I forgot to take a pic of is the 3G alternator that is brand new and was in a box.

The engine and other motor and drivetrain parts

Some progress on the cleaning up

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #12
Nice car Tony.  She cleaned up rather nicely.

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #13
Nice score!

It's going to stay a 2.3T correct?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Project "Barn Bird"

Reply #14
Thanks John!! Got a long ways to go though, sitting as long as it did Im gonna be pulling the entire interior out to make sure I get all mice nests out and check all wiring. So far what visible is good so I have my fingers crossed. Then its on to cleaning up the motor and putting some of the modded stuff I have on. Hoping by early spring to have her moving under her own power agian and smelling good agian atleast.