Skip to main content
Topic: E-Brake cable questions *SOLVED* If you're swapping a TC rear in, READ THIS! (Read 25011 times) previous topic - next topic

E-Brake cable questions *SOLVED* If you're swapping a TC rear in, READ THIS!

OK, so the TC rear is in, and I've ordered the '93 Cobra M/C and 3-to-2 line conversion. The hydraulic part is taken care of, parts wise.

Now I've got to move on to the park brakes, which are required by local MVI laws (and would be nice to have, to boot). I know the rear cables are different, and I think the intermediate cable might be, but what about the front cable? In other words, which cables on the car must be replaced? This might be already addressed somewhere, but forum searching sucks bad enough. Forum searching on dialup REALLY sucks.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #1
Anybody? Surely with the popularity of this swap, somebody knows...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
its on cool cats.  just the rear cables.

Reply #3
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;137445
its on cool cats.  just the rear cables.

ALL the cables must be replaced.

Reply #4
hey Carm, I used my origional ebrake setup and than used two mark vii rear sections. Let me look for the posts so I don't have to type it all again.

Heres a link, I'll look for the pic

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=158
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
Quote from: thunder306;137471
hey Carm, I used my origional ebrake setup and than used two mark vii rear sections. Let me look for the posts so I don't have to type it all again.

Heres a link, I'll look for the pic

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=158

So you used all your original front and intermediate cables and the stock (non TC) hardware? Sounds good to me! Let's see those pics :pics-stfu: :D

Reply #6
Interesting. The TC uses completely different cables, this is a nice work-through though.

Reply #7
Ok, a bit of an update: I installed a pair of cables ordered for a '91 Lincoln Mark VII. The sheaths are the PERFECT length (between the caliper and the bracket on the floor of the car), but the actual cables themselves are each about 1/2" too short (I'm guessing this because I was about an inch away from being able to get the nut back on the adjuster.

This was a very easy problem to fix - I simply cut the adjuster and added about an inch to its length by welding some 1X1/8" flat bar:

X
I actually could have saved myself from having to do this. I had to make a new coupler because I lost the original one from the car (this coupler connects the rear cables to the intermediate one - there is one on each side, but I only lost one):

X
Now, if I'd have been smart I'd have measured everything up and just added the extra length to this coupler instead of having to cut up and weld the adjuster too. But I wasn't :hick:

So there you have it - if you're swapping a TC rear into your 87-88 Bird or Cat you only need to replace the rearmost cables with '91 Lincoln Mark VII cables (they cost me $15 apiece new) and do some minor mods to either the adjuster or the coupler. There is no need to use the TC cable setup (which is completely different than non-TC cables)!

Reply #8
Thats just like what I did. Sorry I nver got back to you with a picture. Things been busy around here with the baby, work , and keeping the wife happy.

On my car the stock coupler was not reaching the cable (only on the passenger side) so I added another coupler and joined two of them with a grinded down allen wrench ( the big one in the set, and grinding to make a "ball" on each end to hold the stock coupler ) and than adjusted everything.

Again sorry I never got around to posting the pic, glad you got e-brakes now ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
Don't apologize - if it hadn't been for you suggesting those Mark VII cables in the first place I'd likely still be under there trying to get that TC setup working - when I junked the car I kept all the brackets and cables, but the cables were all seized and I'd have no idea where the brackets went :hick:

Reply #10
I went for 4-5 years without ebrakes. So you could imagine my excitment when I got it working lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #11
Same set up I used, I was able to get them all together just moving the adjusating nut all the way out (I used cables from the 84 Mark VII) diden't have to cut or weld anything.

HOWEVER I havent got the brakes all together yet to know for sure if it's going to work or if I'm missing something.
Cobra master has showed up so hope to get it together this weekend.
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Reply #12
I nominate this thread for the "Greatest Hits" forum. 

It makes getting emergency brakes for non-TC cars so much easier.

Reply #13
Can we get this stickied or something. So people don't have to keep asking about the TC parts.

Reply #14
There, I made it sticky. Real sticky...