Skip to main content
Topic: At what point would you guys buy a new fuel tank? (Read 1392 times) previous topic - next topic

At what point would you guys buy a new fuel tank?

Found out my original motorcraft fuel filter was plugged solid. Literally weighs 8 lbs lol. Went 2 miles on filter #2.  Then 15 on #3. Same situation use up available fuel in the line then bogs and throws a fit until the pump catches up. So freeway 70mph 3 miles try’s to stall, ride the shoulder for a mile at 20 and it takes back off. Well today I dropped the tank. 65000 mile California car. Bolts everything look showroom new. Tank doesn’t have any exterior rust. So pulled the sending unit. Rusty inside. Put a handful of gravel in shook it up with dawn. Power washed the insides. Still got rust but cleaned up 50%......the low pressure pump looks like it hasn’t worked in years? The screen also was nasty. Is the low pressure pump vital for the car to run. Maybe that was the major issue. I ordered a new low pressure pump and screen. Thought I’d slap her together and call it done. No holes in tank but once that coating is gone I’d imagine the rust will be coming back. But if the car is a semi daily it shouldn’t build up as bad?

Re: At what point would you guys buy a new fuel tank?

Reply #1
As you can see what it was by the sock. But I think it’s still usable?

Reply #2
A new tank is $100 on RockAuto.

You could probably have the original cleaned for less, but seeing as new is still available...why waste the time?

Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #3
Only reason is I’m trying to avoid issues. Called around. 4 different tanks. 4 different prices. Soonest available would be the last week of August. But when your right your right.  :dunno:  Plus I never ever in my life do this again. Still had 15 gallons in the tank. Pretty stupid but I had no way to pump it out.

Reply #4
My 88 was a 90k car and thats how the inside of the tank looked. I spent the $85 on a new tank. It wasnt worth the headaches it was going to cause later on down the road. Theres no price tag on peace of mind.

Reply #5
Ordered the tank and low pressure pump for $140.88 with shipping from rock auto. Still need the sock and filter #4. Problem is I still can’t find a new sending unit. Last letters are DA found one one eBay looks identical but is a CA for 84-86.

Reply #6
Is your car a dual pump? Personally, I would ditch the dual pump setup and run one good pump in the tank but I see you already ordered the in-tank pump.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #7
Yea, goal before fall was to have her daily reliable. So figured adding mods was just going to clutter everything up. So restore the tank and sending unit back to factory spec. If it still acts up I’ll just follow the fuel. High pressure pump ,regulator, injectors. Then turn to ignition if needed.  My car has low mileage. With a 4 year old daughter taking interest in the hobby. I really don’t need a fire breathing monster. I may just add a duel exhaust. But even then we enjoy taking a cruise in comfy leather and total silence. May get another 50/60,000 miles out of the car. THEN swap a crate.  :dunno: