Skip to main content
Topic: ACT (Air Charge Temp Sensor) (Read 722 times) previous topic - next topic

ACT (Air Charge Temp Sensor)

Do it matter where the air temp charge sensor is located? I'm asking because I'm thinking of mounting this sensor in the air tube between the air filter and the throttle body instead of drilling and tapping my explorer intake. The advantage that I see is that the sensor would be reading a cooler air temp because of being before the intake instead of reading the air temp in the intake to 1 cylinder. What do you guys think?
Our web page

02 Explorer XLT 4.0L
04 F150 FX4 Supercrew 5.4L
02 Saturn SL1 1.9L
09 Vstar 950 Tourer

Reply #2
I had the same problem with my explorer intake.  I just triied to run the motor without one.  DONT DO THAT!!!
I definatly learned not to try and run a motor without it hooked up the hard way.  Fried a perfectly good, low mileage 5.0L motor that way.  Next time I will drill the intake in the stock location for it.

Reply #3
I have an Explorer intake and I put the ACT sensor where Ford said it dhould be.No problems at all.I think with Speed density,put it in the stock location and forget about it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

update

Reply #4
I agreed with Eric on this so I have moved the ACT sensor into the air intake hose just after the factory air filter box.  I'm still running the factory ho intake. I put a plug into the orignal locate for the sensor. Motor actually stayed running this morning instead of shutting off on the first start of the day. Motor seems to rev a little high without making any noises. Prior to this, if I reved to 5400rpms the motor made some noises. I have revved to 5800 without any noises but seems to fall off around 5600. I do not know how the factory rev limiter works if it is even working. Can anyone tell me how this works?
Our web page

02 Explorer XLT 4.0L
04 F150 FX4 Supercrew 5.4L
02 Saturn SL1 1.9L
09 Vstar 950 Tourer