Skip to main content
Topic: gas mileage (Read 2460 times) previous topic - next topic

gas mileage

Reply #15
haha i do drive like a old lady... lol i basicly im one. until some tough guy pulls along side me. then my manly side comes out
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

gas mileage

Reply #16
Hmm ok let's see....reduce as much drag as possible....

*Run 45 PSI in your tires...side effect is better cornering ability :p
*Run the rear end at half lube capacity with a lighter weight
*Cover all gaps in the body with body filler, then paint and polish the  out of it all
*FULLY detail the paint to ensure smoothest finish
*Hell....add SuperBird nose
*Run minimal grease in front bearings
*Toss rear drum setup to prevent any chance of drag and cap brake lines
*Coat front rotors in teflon and don't use brakes as that will remove teflon
*Rebuild engine and coat everything in teflon
*Use 0 weight oil
*Replace torque converter with clutch setup to eliminate inefficient torque converter
*Eliminate unneccessary accessories..ie. Powersteering pump, water pump, alternator, A/C..etc.

This should provide a substantial increase in gas mileage....say 40 MPG....downhill.......with a significant tail wind......in Neutral.

gas mileage

Reply #17
so how do you like your GTP billy. my has one. he runs the 1/4 in 13.5 at 103. with a 2.30 60 foot time.
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

gas mileage

Reply #18
my brother**

gas mileage

Reply #19
Quote from: Billyf17;105691
This should provide a substantial increase in gas mileage....say 40 MPG....downhill.......with a significant tail wind......in Neutral.

lucky me, thats how i always drive,  but when it comes to uphills i usually pay the neighbor hood kids to push me, anything to keep that mpg low :D
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

gas mileage

Reply #20
Quote from: quicksilver;105692
so how do you like your GTP billy. my has one. he runs the 1/4 in 13.5 at 103. with a 2.30 60 foot time.

The GTP is awesome.  A fine example of what an american automaker can produce when the want to.  Of all the cars I've driven with this kind of mileage, well maintained or not, this is by far the smoothest, most throttle responsive car.  Right now its the DD, so my 1/4 time would be in the high 14's.  But its a great all around performer.

gas mileage

Reply #21
Took the LSC out for a test run today. (bit heavier than these cars, and has an HO/AOD/3.27s) With two people in the car including myself, in 93 degree heat, 1/4 of a tank of 87/93/SeaFoam mix, A/C on max, base timing set to 13 deg. BTDC, and still needing a couple things to complete my tune-up, it read 21-22 mpg at 74 mph using cruise. At 70, I got readings of 22-25 mpg on cruise.

I've since filled the tank with 93 and changed the fuel filter, coil, plug wires, (Accel Super-Stocks) and cap and rotor.. (also Accel) and also bumped the timing back to 12 deg. We'll see what kind of mileage I get with two people and some luggage in the car for 1400 miles. I'll try to keep track of overall mileage and update this post afterword. (probably taking my laptop with us) Of course, your mileage will vary.. but I figure mine's a pretty average use scenario to go from, on a tuned-up but otherwise 99.9% stock car.

gas mileage

Reply #22
i like his GTP. but it has alot of buddy role. its like sitting in a boat. but he just goes in a straight line anyways. but he is pushing about 350hp and 425 ft lbs torque at the engine.. so thats what im trying to compete with...:nutkick:

gas mileage

Reply #23
Hmm i used to go 2 wks and be at 1/2 tank lol the paper says 18cty-21 HW..but since ethenol came in..it def went down. and i drive like i'm 90..but as of late..i've been beating the shiznit out of it =:/
1988- 3.8- T-bird- sold 2005 Grand Prix, GTP- COMP.G MODS: Inferno Hood, GXP spoiler, Liquid Metal Wheels,K&N Intake,LED taillights,LED reverse lights, LED interior lights, 180*,605s, Pacesetters :burnout:

gas mileage

Reply #24
but you have a V6 though... but your car looks very cool!! where did you get the hood at?

gas mileage

Reply #25
What year is his GTP?  Mine has very little body roll and handles great.  In fact, I took a curve rated at 25 at about 80 in it and I was oversteering it...so I could have taken the same curve at about 90 and still stuck it on the line.  I can't wait to mod the suspension and put some track wheels on it.

Oh and btw...just to stay on topic....My Coug...with bad O2 sensor, no IAT (running LA3 on 84 harness), among other bad things with the car, I manage close to 25 mpg.  The GTP will get about the same 25 mpg average, it gets well over 30 on the highway even though the sticker says 28 mpg highway.  Not bad for a supercharged 6.

gas mileage

Reply #26
Best I've done with my 5.0 car is 32.8 MPG (according to the tripminder). This was on a 40-mile back-country-road trip, and it was shortly after installing the tripminder so I was purposely trying to see how good I could get the mileage. This meant not going over the 90km/hr (55mph) speed limit unless coasting down a hill to gain momentum, not pushing the car uphills (allowing it to slow down instead of downshifting). It was the most boring 40 miles I everdrove, but I achieved that 32.8 MPG, dammit :hick:

Driving normally I get about 15 city, 28 highway (75MPH cruising). I expect that to drop considerably when the TC rear goes in (actually I figure city will get better but highway will drop), and even further when the 351 does.

Quicksilver: In addition to the Mustang HO's better efficiency as Shawn pointed out, remember that the Mustang body is considerably lighter than the T-Bird. Weight is the enemy of fuel economy. Also if the 'Stang has a T5 that would give it an advantage as well, as automatics rob power and it takes fuel to make that power.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

gas mileage

Reply #28
The best I have gotten was 27mpg on a highway trip wiht the cruise set at 72mph. Back and forth to work (about 10-12 mile trip) I get 14-16 on the rural roads (less traffic than the direct route which is still rural traffic).

I have a 5.0 with the ho cam and non-mass air ho computer at the current time (had done the mass-air conversion but the computer went bad) with the ho intake, 65mm throthle body, stock cougar heads, 5 speed, and 3.55 gears. I'm thinking about putting my explorer intak on until I get the new motor built.
Our web page

02 Explorer XLT 4.0L
04 F150 FX4 Supercrew 5.4L
02 Saturn SL1 1.9L
09 Vstar 950 Tourer