Skip to main content
Topic: 100% All NEW 87-88 Thunderbird Rear Spoilers! UPDATE 01/04/08 (Read 6428 times) previous topic - next topic

100% All NEW 87-88 Thunderbird Rear Spoilers! UPDATE 01/04/08

Reply #15
Quote from: BCA;164572
I'm curious as to why your "prototype" has so many chips, gouges, and what appears to be poor paint.
Is this spoiler originally off of something else or a combination other existing spoilers put together to make the one pictured?
Or is this one that you made completely by hand from scratch?

Brent
:cougarsmily:

As far as I can tell he's having an no-longer-available spoiler repopped.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #16
Heh, yeah I was wondering if the chips and genuinely old look were optional - lol :D
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #17
I wish the price could be lower, but I'm already hardly making anything from it. We're talking about a very limited production run of a complicated spoiler here, and it's still priced within $50 of comparable MUSTANG spoilers (new aftermarket fiberglass) they are made by the thousands!

The spoiler itself started like as a McK/Kobel unit, the end caps are 100% handmade (and scratched and chipped easily), and the pedestals have also been modified. This is a truely 1-off spoiler design now.

Reply #18
Yeah, I did the original work to it in Florida in 2002. It's been hauled all over the country and left in various garages since 2003 so it had a rough life. I had a bodyshop in Bellingham fix it up in 2005, and now MAP is really making it nice for the mold.

Reply #19
UPDATE:
The final dimensions are done, and the spoiler is ready for mold-making. The new breakdown is:

$299 for the spoiler
$35 S&H to anywhere in the US
International extra

I will need a $150 deposit from all interested parties (2 more left for initial run) to go ahead. Once production begins, and they go into a "regular" item, I will take a $150 deposit, have MAP make it, and then collect the $149 plus shipping when it is finished. Each spoiler will take 6 hours of work and be made-to-order.

People on the list already, please contact me.

Reply #20
i wish i could help. i'm glad to see this coming together though.
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Reply #21
Still need 2 more to step up!

Reply #22
Dude, order the 2 extra spoilers yourself, you can always sell them later and then also you'll have the ability to make it any time again to make even more sales, no?

Reply #23
Nope, I have to prove a market. The mold is VERY expensive and it's going to take quite a few spoilers to pay it off. He usually won't start a project without 10 pre-paid orders, but since it's the first item we're doing 5 plus me was agreed on.

Reply #24
Ok, Mike, don't take this as criticism so much as advice:

I think there's definitely a market for 'em, but not at $330 a pop. Most owners of these cars are tight-asses, myself included. I realize there may be $300 Mustang spoilers out there, but you can find spoilers all over eBay in the $80 range. They might be Made In China universal , but sadly, for most people, they're sufficient. We T-Bird/Cougar guys realize that we either have to pay more or make it ourselves, but most of us wouldn't consider a three hundred dollar spoiler simply "paying more" - it's more like "bend over, here I come". Personally, if I wanted a spoiler I'd find something and make it work, or I'd go without.

What you've got is a conundrum: Do you price the item high and hope that a few people will bite, or do you price it low and hope that many people will bite? In other words, do you (and by "you", I mean both you and your supplier) sell a few spoilers and make big money on each, or do you sell more spoilers but make less profit off each one? I realize that you've got to get the mould paid for, but I question the wisdom in trying to get it paid for with six spoilers. If you could get, say, 50 made, you'd likely have no problem selling them for half that $330 you're trying to get for those six.

I other words, if you're serious about producing those parts (or any parts) you need to make an investment, and that investment involves risks, such as doing what Baxo suggested and buying those two spoilers yourself. If this project is hanging on two people buying spoilers that shows that either there is no market (and thus the project should be sped), or that the market will not bear a $330 price tag. I suspect the latter. There just aren't enough people willing to pay that price for admission.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #25
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;164938
Ok, Mike, don't take this as criticism so much as advice:

I think there's definitely a market for 'em, but not at $330 a pop. Most owners of these cars are tight-asses, myself included. I realize there may be $300 Mustang spoilers out there, but you can find spoilers all over eBay in the $80 range. They might be Made In China universal , but sadly, for most people, they're sufficient. We T-Bird/Cougar guys realize that we either have to pay more or make it ourselves, but most of us wouldn't consider a three hundred dollar spoiler simply "paying more" - it's more like "bend over, here I come". Personally, if I wanted a spoiler I'd find something and make it work, or I'd go without.

What you've got is a conundrum: Do you price the item high and hope that a few people will bite, or do you price it low and hope that many people will bite? In other words, do you (and by "you", I mean both you and your supplier) sell a few spoilers and make big money on each, or do you sell more spoilers but make less profit off each one? I realize that you've got to get the mould paid for, but I question the wisdom in trying to get it paid for with six spoilers. If you could get, say, 50 made, you'd likely have no problem selling them for half that $330 you're trying to get for those six.

I other words, if you're serious about producing those parts (or any parts) you need to make an investment, and that investment involves risks, such as doing what Baxo suggested and buying those two spoilers yourself. If this project is hanging on two people buying spoilers that shows that either there is no market (and thus the project should be sped), or that the market will not bear a $330 price tag. I suspect the latter. There just aren't enough people willing to pay that price for admission.

here's someone who's got a good grasp on things.  well said.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

Reply #26
Problem is at $299 (and $35 shipping) each we aren't making ANYTHING. It's going to take 25 spoilers for MAP to break even and 20 for me to as well. If we drop the price and sell what, maybe another 2-3 units, it's going to put us worse in the hole. The 5 spoilers are to see if it's worth the risk at all in the first place.

The guy that only has the budget for an $80 junkyard spoiler won't buy a $300, $200, or $150 spoiler. Only an $80 one. It's more then $150 in materials for each spoiler! Simply put, QUALITY fiberglass costs money. Cheapo Chinese knock off's are made in batches of 10,000 and still cost $150. There isn't 10,000 87-88 TBirds left on the planet!

The price is $299 plus shipping. We can't go any lower. People have been whining about something like this forever. If you guys want it, step up. Otherwise there will be no further aftermarket fiberglass from me. (This is the single most requested part, so if it doesn't sell, nothing will).

Reply #27
and let the volley begin!
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

Reply #28
coome on guys help him out!!! get this going!!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #29
Lets suspose here that *if* I had $300 layin around, and that I owned an 87-88 bird..... I would pay it Mike. But seing as I'm  near broke and I rock out the 84... I can't help