Skip to main content
Topic: Best way to ship a fairly large item? (Read 715 times) previous topic - next topic

Best way to ship a fairly large item?

Hello all,

Im trying to buy an front bumper reinforcement from another member here on the board.  Its for an 83-86 so its metal and relatively heavy.  I dont want to pay an arm and a leg to ship this thing but I really need the part and would like to start working on the car again in the spring.  I have looked into a few methods but Im not sure if the seller has the means to get it to a store to ship it.  Are there companies that will pick items up from residental address?  We may be at a road block here, but maybe someone with more knowlege has a few idea.

Thanks for the help guys,

Dan
84 TC - under contruction
2018 F150 2.7 4x4 STX
98 F-150 XLT - 4.6, auto, 4x4, extended cab

Reply #1
Make a box for it out of a sheet of cardboard. Packs some wadded newspaper everywhere there's room once the bumper part is in the box. Close 'er up good, then make a second box, slightly larger than the first, and again, pack it with newspaper wads to fill the gap. Seal THAT one up, slap your addy on it, and away we go.
That's how I'd do it.

Usually there's a place in every small town that ships either UPS or FedEx...or, you could take it to a local business such as Oreilly, or some place that deals with FedEx/UPS on a frequent basis, see if they can do the legwork as far as getting it on the truck. Might bribe 'em with 5 bucks or so as a way of saying thanks.

You can also get on FedEx.com and locate the nearest place that can accommodate your needs :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
Yeah I have been looking at USPS, FedEX, and UPS now and it looks like UPS is the cheapest that will do it at about 50 bucks and they will pick it up at his house.  The other 2 places wanted around 100 bucks :beatyoass: .  I was wondering if anyone has used greyhound or a differet method to ship large items like this before?
2018 F150 2.7 4x4 STX

Reply #3
I wouldn't bother double boxing it. Just wrap it in cardboard. It's not gonna get hurt (even if they throw it over your fence, lol).

I once had an 83 dash top shipped from canada. I don't remember how he did it, but I died of shock that it made it all the way here with no cracks.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #4
haha yeah thats what I was telling the ups guy... the thing would probably live though a plane crash.  He told me to cover all sharp edges with something (although the prefer it boxed it does not have to be).  He can have it picked up right at his house all he has to do is box/cover it up as he feels fit and print the lable and use box tape to stick it on there.  For 50 bucks I cant really compain too much.
2018 F150 2.7 4x4 STX