Skip to main content
Topic: 3.8 to 5.8 (Read 1859 times) previous topic - next topic

3.8 to 5.8

I have a 87 cougar with a 3.8 v6 looking to swap to v8 5.8 what needs to be swaped out do i need to go to a mustang k member or can i use the v6 one

3.8 to 5.8

Reply #1
The V6 K-member should be fine, but a set of ChuckW's poly motor mounts will be a must in order to cope with the torque of the 351W.  You'll need a new trans and the 7.5" rear will not last a long and/or happy life with that much torque running through it.  You'll need to run a mustang H-pipe with 351W swap headers which could cause interference issues if you have a column shift car.  You'll need to get a Ford Racing 351W swap oil pan kit...which will will interfere with your front sway bar, you'll either need to shim the hell out of the sway bar brackets or ditch the front sway bar altogether.  If you plan on staying fuel injected, expect to dump a ton of money on any decent fuel injection goodies and if you have to go through any emissions testing, you'll most likely fail.  If staying fuel injected, you'll need to change out the engine harness with a 5.0 Cougar/Bird harness and you may even have to modify you're fuel lines(I'm not really familiar with the fuel line routing on the V6 cars).

Hope this helps!
-Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

3.8 to 5.8

Reply #2
thanks for info main concern was the k member .car is going to be carberated.but will swap out sway bar

3.8 to 5.8

Reply #3
3.8L trans will bolt up to a SBF.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

3.8 to 5.8

Reply #4
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;297764
3.8L trans will bolt up to a SBF.

Yeah, but unless it's from a Super Coupe, it won't live long...

3.8 to 5.8

Reply #5
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;297773
Yeah, but unless it's from a Super Coupe, it won't live long...

Exactly why I recommended it...do those SC AOD's go in no problem or does anything have to be swapped?

-Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

3.8 to 5.8

Reply #6
They will bolt right in but you need to use a floor shifter.

3.8 to 5.8

Reply #7
I had to drill out the lever opening so the grommet for the cable on the Sport shifter would fit, but otherwise no changes...