Skip to main content
Topic: ??????? (Read 5863 times) previous topic - next topic

???????

Reply #15
Quote from: Cougar5.0;256706
Just for kicks, Let me say that I loved that ol' 351C 2V in my '71 Mustang.

The 351c are rare leave them for the old cars. Besides technology has come a long way for the Winsor motors. I use to listen to old-timers say the Cleveland was a better motor but that was then there’s too much aftermarket help for the Winsor now I feel.
Your question is very broad what are you looking to accomplish and what car is it going in.

???????

Reply #16
Yep, my feelings for the Cleveland are sentimental - ahhh, cruising around in my late teens was so much fun. The 351C was fun to talk about as even then it was somewhat rare.

If I was to build another engine now, it'd be a Windsor of one sort or another. The 5L/5.8L family have so many aftermarket parts available including stroker kits, blowers etc. Clevelands are cool but probably not worth the extra money & effort.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

???????

Reply #17
Quote from: Cougar5.0;256756
Yep, my feelings for the Cleveland are sentimental - ahhh, cruising around in my late teens was so much fun. The 351C was fun to talk about as even then it was somewhat rare.

Not really, the 2V Clevelands were in probably 50% of the '70-'71 Torinos, I had a '71 Ranchero with one... 4V could be a bit hard to find but I wouldn't call it rare(at least around here)...One of my buddies had  a 4V in a '70 Stang, with the FMX(cast iron) automatic... From a 30mph roll, it'd stay close to my 428CJ Fairlane... From a standing start I could eat him up, the Clevelands were a bit weak on the bottom end...

The most unlikely 4V Cleveland I remember seeing, was in a plain Jane '70 Fairlane station wagon... Ran across it in a junk yard, verified the VIN and it was a real "M" code, had to say DAYUM...

???????

Reply #18
build a Clevor.

???????

Reply #19
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;256757
Not really, the 2V Clevelands were in probably 50% of the '70-'71 Torinos, I had a '71 Ranchero with one...

Yeah, you're probably right. I never saw another Mustang with one at the time and until this day in fact, but they may have been popular elsewhere. Also, those year Mustangs are less popular at the shows I go to.

Since it was only produced from '70 - '74 as the era of smog engines was in full gear, it didn't have a long production run to exploit it's strengths (with the exception of some smart drag-racers.)

???????

Reply #20
Get some Aussie Cleavland heads I hear they are the best for the 351C.

???????

Reply #21
Funny, my '71 Mustang was actually somewhat unusual in that they made less than 5000 351C 2V's with a C6 tranny:

2V Mustangs with FMX 24,916 with [COLOR="Red"]C6 4,978[/COLOR]

It looked exactly like this one:

Since the Grande was 12% of production in 1971, it's likely less than 1000 were made like mine.

???????

Reply #22
Quote from: Cougar5.0;256800
Funny, my '71 Mustang was actually somewhat unusual in that they made less than 5000 351C 2V's with a C6 tranny:

It looked exactly like this one:

Since the Grande was 12% of production in 1971, it's likely less than 1000 were made like mine.

Now figure out how many had the exact options yours did and then do this:  :punchballs:
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

???????

Reply #23
Quote from: V8Demon;256812
Now figure out how many had the exact options yours did and then do this:  :punchballs:

Yeah, I was starting to think about that as I was researching the production numbers :punchballs: I'd like to have that and my '69 GTO back - ahh, well...

???????

Reply #24
Talk about thread jacking....hope you guys were wearing ski masks.

Clevor. Edelbrock makes an intake to tie it all together. Use the best parts from both engines. Windsor bottom end, Cleveland top end (heads!!!) the heads were what made a cleveland nasty, otherwise they were an other ford "Modified" engine. A 302 with the Cleveland 2-v heads will hold it's own against the best 5.0 ford factory heads and you got them for free. The expensive parts are the headers and intake manifold.

I vote for the clevor cause it is different. If you got some cash build a 427 Clevor.

???????

Reply #25
Again, street or strip?

351C stroker:  (notice the rpms)
1987 TC

???????

Reply #26
A Clevor WOULD be a cool conversation piece tho. Haha.

???????

Reply #27
Again, street or strip?

both, i live about 5 miles from our track and plan on going most weekends when it opens up again

???????

Reply #28
AFAIK, Clevelands are better for the strip, whereas 351W's are decent for both.  (Or you could go with a stroked 400 like me. :) ) Clevors are cool, but parts are scarce, and 460's are torquey, but are heavy.  All in all, it's a trade off one way or another.  I'd still get the Cleveland just to have, and find a 5.8 EFI and talk to 5.8fastcat about a good setup.
1987 TC

???????

Reply #29
any v8 sounds good to me right now, i have a cfi v6 now and makes sh*t for power i can stomp on some wanna be fast civics but thats about it :mad: so i figured it be a fast easy swap and i could deal with it till i got out of college