Skip to main content
Topic: 460 cougar (Read 2589 times) previous topic - next topic

460 cougar

has anyone out there put a 460 in their cougar, if so how did you go about it :evilgrin:

460 cougar

Reply #1
Before it gets all technical, there's a search feature that will answer most any question you have...

As far as power wise, if you're planning on dumpin' a 460 from a late 80's/early 90's truck in and running 10's...think again, for the weight and work needed, you'd be better off building a forced induction 5.0 and have better handling, and less work. (no custom headers, mounts, etc)

Just my .02 cents though...if you're gonna have a built 460, it's all moot, lol.

So, WHAT are your plans for it..? :D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

460 cougar

Reply #2
heres my 2 cents check out this link

http://www.critesrestoration.com/mustang.htm

heres the few parts they offer for our cars.

also if you send them a e-mail they get back to you very fast.

1983–88 T–BIRD AND COUGAR PARTS
1983-88 T-Bird & Cougar fiberglass hood, our ram air style - $350
Front bumper brace (inside facial cover) - coming
Motor mount kit with 460 - $129
Headers with 460 using our motor mount kit - $359
Crossmember - $99
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

460 cougar

Reply #3
I had a 460 powered 88 t bird and it was an absolute beast. It was loud and fun and would blow the tires off at will as well as turn heads at the sound of a 3" exhaust and it would set off car alarms for a 5 mile radius. BUT...it was not economical and didn't handle.
  As far as the install goes look through the mustang mags for  Holcomb Ford  in North Carolina, they offer 460 install kits which include a double sump oil pan and motor mounts, plus i got my headers thru them. They've done a lot and will help you out with questions.  Get the headers jet hot coated cuz it's well worth it IMO.
  They also have the radiator, fan set-up etc. The double hump tranny cross-member is a ford part but ed if i remember the part number.
 Also, I used a chevy 1 wire alternator which saved a LOT of wiring issues.   
  The project is a total blast but get the smallest diameter headers you can as the steering shaft actually runs between the header tubes. good luck!

460 cougar

Reply #4
Quote from: wnt2gofst;234917
has anyone out there put a 460 in their cougar, if so how did you go about it :evilgrin:

Use the mustang swap parts.

Use a mustang tubular K member

Enjoy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

460 cougar

Reply #5
thanks for all the info. my plans for it, dont really have any i just have a lot of free time and the money to do it. i just got done painting the car and now i want to do some engine work. and i think it would be fun to make it quiet and put some elec. cutouts just after the headers. pull up next to some rice mess around with them then flip the cutouts open and rattle the bodykit off the pos  lol:burnout:

460 cougar

Reply #6
Quote from: wnt2gofst;235388
thanks for all the info. my plans for it, dont really have any i just have a lot of free time and the money to do it. i just got done painting the car and now i want to do some engine work. and i think it would be fun to make it quiet and put some elec. cutouts just after the headers. pull up next to some rice mess around with them then flip the cutouts open and rattle the bodykit off the pos  lol:burnout:
Those cutouts from Stacey David's 'Copperhead' truck have me thinking the same thing, lol.
1987 TC