Skip to main content
Topic: 2.5L swap in a Turbo coupe (Read 1781 times) previous topic - next topic

2.5L swap in a Turbo coupe

Anyone experiment with the idea of turbo charging a Ranger 2.5L and putting it in their turbo coupe?

Same engine only stroked I think.  Everything else is bolt on and you'd have to either port the manifolds or get bigger ones.

Reply #1
Quote from: xjeffs;194269
Everything else is bolt on and you'd have to either port the manifolds or get bigger ones.

the late lima's are worlds apart from the earlier ones.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #2
Completely different engine and would not survive boost for very long.

Reply #3
The late DP heads are actually nice flowing units when ported.  They will outflow the turbo heads.

The late 2.5 Lima uses smaller main journals and is "technically" not as strong as the 2.3, but I don't think folks have has issues as this crank gets used in 2.3 blocks (with spacers for the main bearings) for 2.5L conversions on a turbo motor.

It will require aftermarket pistons to get forged ones.

It will require special engine management if you use the DP head as the high-swirl combustion chambers require less timing.

A couple guys have built 2.5L DP motors with and have been running them for years.  They have been running higher static compression (9.5:1) and some sort of engine management.
There is/was a guy with a late model Ranger with the 2.5 who turbocharged it and kept the EEC5/OBD-2 stuff and has had some luck (to the tune of breaking at least 1 or 2 rear ends and twisting a driveshaft).

There is LOTS of info on this at turboford.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
The 2.5 block has different accessory mounting points and has a front housing oil pump, direct pulley driven, in place of an aux shaft.  EDIS with no distributor hole or anything, just a crank trigger and coil packs.  The head actually flows quite well I believe and it has a smaller 7mm valve stem which is lighter than the larger early valve stems.
Long time Turboford freak...
84 SVO
88 TC
87 XR4Ti

Reply #5
There is/was a guy with a late model Ranger with the 2.5 who turbocharged it and kept the EEC5/OBD-2 stuff and has had some luck (to the tune of breaking at least 1 or 2 rear ends and twisting a driveshaft).

Aahhh yes, saved many a video of Jess's truck. That guy knows his stuff.

Personally I wouldnt mind seeing this done. Those motors have some great potential.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost