Skip to main content
Topic: 390 swap (Read 2920 times) previous topic - next topic

390 swap

Starting a 390 swap what all is needed to drop a FE block into a 88 xr7?

Re: 390 swap

Reply #1
Can't give specific's but it's quite a bit more work than say... a 351.  In addition to much custom work, aftermarket parts are few and far between, at least tougher to find than smallblock stuff. Unless you're really going for the coolness, uniqueness factor,  it's probably not worth it, if you're just doing it for power.

Reply #2
Yea headers more than likely will have to be cusom also the engine mounts its gonna be alot of work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
87 T-Bird turbo'd and supercharged and if things call for it juiced. :evilgrin:
88 Turbocoupe t3, 4.10's, Daily driver

Reply #3
I got the 390 for free so I was going to attempt it. Also what is more intimidating than the roar of a big block in a fox body.

Reply #4
well canton makes an oil pan for it... I was going to take a shot at bulding me a 410 FE engine until I found that I would have to do ALOT of custom work and that just wasn't my bag(yes I swipped that from austin powers)... so I'm going with a 351C...

Methos

Reply #5
Quote from: slamedcat
I got the 390 for free so I was going to attempt it. Also what is more intimidating than the roar of a big block in a fox body.

As much as I like the 390, seeing as it was my first Ford engine, (1964 Galaxie 500 2-door, 390/300hp) I don't know if one would work so well in a Fox body. I'm not saying you shouldn't try it.. and I'd love to see it work if you could make it work.. but you might be better off with a stroked 351W (or even a Cleveland) if you want those cubes and that sound. You should have no problem getting a 351W stroked out to over 390 cubes. Also, the 351W won't have the "Y-block" of the FE.. which means less weight. On top of that, there are tons of performance parts available for the Windsor.

My first suggestion would be to consider selling the 390 to someone who's trying to fix up a 60's car and wants a FE, and use that money to pick up a used Windsor. You can get relatively new ones (compared to a FE) out of Econoline vans, Broncos, and the Lightning, among other sources. But if you absolutely MUST have the FE big-block in a Fox body, I'll see what I can dig up. I think I've seen Milodon oil pans for putting just about any Ford engine in a Fox body, but that's the only part I can think of off the top of my head.

The FE series was a great series.. and I'm a fan of both FE big-blocks and Fox body FoMoCos.. but putting the two together seems sort of awkward to me. Even the 385-series blocks (429/460.. plus the 514 stroker from Ford Racing) would seem to work better with a Fox than the FE.

You're making me want my Galaxie back.. heh.

Reply #6
Picked up the 390 today. It dosen't seem much bigger than the stock 5.0 with all the acc. on it. I also am going to use a lincoln mark VII k member because of the different motor mounts also going to prob. use the air bags also but we will see.

Reply #7
You'll need a FE specific transmission for the 390, those engines have a unique bolt pattern. NO factory AOD or C4 will fit it. Lentech has modified AODs to fit, and there are aftermarket bells for the C4. The only factory trannys for these engines were the cast iron FMXs and the C6(Of course there are plenty of bellhousings available to mount a top loader four speed). Next you'll need rear sump Oil pan and some headers to fit the fox chassis, not to mention motor mounts.

The 300hp 390 Bird351 mentions is a dog in stock form(I had two '64 Fords with them). One with a four speed and 3.50 gears (was kinda OK, ran mid 15s) and another automatic. Yea they have a lot of bottom torque and will fry the tires fairly easily, but my 5.0 Bird would leave either so far behind it ain't funny.

Reply #9
I'm just posting to say goodluck with the swap. I love the sound of the 390 but it gulps fuel like nothing. Parents have a '64 tbird they're fixing up and it sounds beautiful, albeit overly loud in a closed area since it has no lers
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #11
I've got to agree that I don't think you'd be too happy with it unless you were just doing it to be different. A much easier swap would be to drop a 460 in it. As far as big blocks go, they are great and relatively cheap to build, even cheaper than a 454, and you can  order all of the swap parts with ease as there are several Mustangs running 460s and stoked versions of them. Even in stock form, a 460 out of an early 70's truck should be good for low 14's and with the basic bolt ons and cam change, easily get you in the 11s or 12s. Also remember that with any big block, handling will pretty much go out the window, but be a great drag car/boulevard bruiser, just got to slow down a bit for the sharp curves.