Skip to main content
Topic: Absolute cheapest junkyard 351W swap options.. (Read 5538 times) previous topic - next topic

Absolute cheapest junkyard 351W swap options..

OK.. something sorta snapped (no pun intended) today when my friend busted the TFI module on my 5.0's distributor. We both started talking seriously about the possibility of sticking my 351W into my '88 in place of its SO 5.0. Problem is, it's (the 351W) carbed.. and obviously my '88 5.0 is not. Second problem is, I'm dirt poor right now. Even gathering up a couple hundred bucks for junkyard-diving for brackets or whatever is going to be a big deal to me. (not that I'm not willing to work for the money to do this.. my options are just limited)

I know about the pages dealing with converting 5.0s to carbed.. I'm not asking for those links, and I'll be hitting them up again tonight and tomorrow re-reading everything in case we need to go that way, in case we have to go carbed. (very likely, with little cash to work with) What I'm asking the rest of you kind and knowledgeable folk is to put yourself in my shoes for a day, no matter how disgusting that might be. :p I'd like the 351 to be EFI, if at all possible. What I want to know is, if money was an issue for you like it is for me, but you were absolutely hell-bent on converting a carbed 351W to EFI and stuffing it into an '88 Bird LX that has a 5.0 SO now, what would you be junkyard-diving for to pick up on THE absolute cheap-as-humanly-possible? If this can't be done within my means, I'll probably just cut out the EEC and harness and all and go carbed.. but I'd rather not. (want the bit of extra efficiency of EFI. I don't race, I don't hot-dog it everywhere, and with gas prices what they are, I'd like every advantage I can get)

Note that I'm not looking for any performance upgrades here.. this 351W is supposedly rated at 210 hp in carbed form. I'm just looking to get this carbed engine into an EFI car in EFI form, as cheap as possible. Why? Because I know my 302 has at least one bad set of rings.. on cylinder #2, if the old owner is to be believed. No matter what I do to get the 302 running, it's still a SO 302 with a bad set of rings on #2.. but here I have a carbed 351W with supposedly under 10k miles on the replacement short block.

EDIT: BTW, I want all accessories functioning on this car. (PS/AC, mainly) This is south Florida, we NEED our A/C. I know from reading other threads lately that some of the brackets will transfer from the 302 to the 351W, but I want everything transferred over. I need to have my A/C working when this thing is roadworthy. I'm pretty sure someone said the Mustang brackets for PS/AC would transfer to the Windsor.. but I need to make absolute sure the serpentine setup works on this '87 351. (with a block replaced in '97)

Re: Absolute cheapest junkyard 351W swap options..

Reply #1
I don't know if the 351W EFI lower intake will mate up to a 302 upper, and I'm pretty sure a truck 351 upper would be much too tall to fit under your hood (they have twin throttle bodies, one on top of the other). Before you decide to go EFI you should find out what your intake options are...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
The truck EFI 351 intake is different than either the car or truck 5.0 intke, so no it won't work. The only factory EFI Ford intake that will begin to fit under the hood of a Bird is the GT40($$$$, I paid over $400 for mine used). Besides the intake, you're gonna need a 351 AOD flexplate, MAJOR exaust work, a P/S-A/C bracket(and the bracket that is mounted on the P/S pump itself) a double sump oil pan, and I'm sure a few other things(a compatable EEC for one).

If you ain't plannin' on Hot Roddin it, swap/sell the 351 and buy a 5.0 HO. Except for exaust work(H pipe to fit the headers) its a virtual drop in using a '87-'88 Mustang or a '87-'92 LSC EEC.

Reply #3
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=/egnsearch.asp&N=400065
 The link above is for an EFI lower made specifically ofr a 5.8.  The beauty of this piece is that it works with edelbrock's 5.0 uppers and will fit under the hood of a mustang. 
This one will work with it.http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=/egnsearch.asp&N=400065

I know it's a little pricey, but I know you have som Ebay skills and you could probably find one of these setups used for a good price.  As for the other items did you want to go with a roller setup?  If not your pretty much set, but would need an HO computer due to the different firing order.  I have no idea what cam you have so I could not tell you if you could use 19 pound injectors or if you would have to make the jump to 24's.  Depending on the vacuum characteristics of the cam you might have to do the ol'  Mass Air Conversion.  Also should you decide to go with a roller conversion you would need a distributor with a hardened shaft otherwise the cam will turn it into metal shavings.  Even if you could find that upper and lower together for say $200 you would probably need another $200 or more to do it.  That's not including the items Tom mentioned.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
OK, I know this is like almost blasphemy to most of you who love V8s.. but, if I took my carbed 351 and my SO 302 and got rid of both for as much cash as I could get, do you think this would be the better bet to do my desired EFI 300 swap into? (on the possibility that I could pick up a serviceable EFI 300 F150 with a shiznit body or something for a couple hundred bucks, for example)

I suppose trading for/buying a 5.0 HO is also a decent possibility.. but hey, it's a 351W. Even if I'm not hotrodding the  thing, it's still cool in the "there's no replacement for displacement" category. :D

It's really a  shame I missed out on that LSC by a few hours. The other guy who bought it, bought it for the HO 5.0.. which was supposedly solid.

As long as I have one functioning T-bird at any given time, it's OK.. I'm just hoping the head gaskets hold out on my '86, to get me through getting the '88 roadworthy.

Reply #5
BTW, while the two of you are in here, I figured I'd thank ya both for helping me get that  5.0 running to where it was earlier today. Today's little mishap was completely out of the blue, and can't be blamed on anyone. (I can't blame my friend, he had no idea that the dist. wrench slipping off would break the  thing in two) I had it idling at around 1000 RPM with no codes and no IAC hooked up.. I felt I was pretty close to having it roadworthy. I may still have it going tomorrow, and my friend said he'd pick me up a new TFI module (I hope I got the right price from AutoHole at $30.99) and try again.. but we're thinking putting the 351 in might be a good move with the bad rings and all on the 302, the age of the 302, (168k miles vs. less than 10k on a new 351W block) and what not.

Reply #6
Still say the 5.0HO is the best way to go if you could find one cheap after selling your other eng's.
It'll drop right in and if money is a factor then just use the stock 302 exaust manifolds in place of the HO's headers,you'll lose a few ponies but it will still be around 210hp.
That way you can keep the reliablility of efi and still have fairly decent gas mileage.

Reply #7
Problem is, who's going to want to buy the SO or the carbed 351? We've been striking out on selling the 351 lately.. and not from lack of trying.

I'm starting to think about the possibility of putting the carbed 351 into my '86 in place of its ragged old CFI V6 and its starting-to-be-questionable head gaskets.. and then just running the '88 as is while that swap is underway, and then finding something to go into the '88. Maybe my EFI 300 project into that one, since it shouldn't involve a change in the fuel system. (since my EFI 300 project plan is to make the "ultimate road trip car", it might also be nice to put it in the car with more options, and that's my '88)

Reply #8
Well a junkyard 351W swap is not that hard if u know what your getting into.
But there will be a few things that will cost u a bit of money.
Flex plate u should get with 351,  The intake is a bit of a pain and if u want to keep it cheap then go carbed,  U can find a used carb and intake for cheap,  Look for used shorty headers.  The fuel pump will be a bit of a pain but odds are u can find a 83 84 carbed cougar or T bird and get the gas tank that has no fuel pump inside,

U can then us a carter elc or holly fuel pump and find them used for next to nothing.
Look for used MSD 6A box and MSD dist or get a stock ford one from any carbed 351 will work fine. 

But look find and get all the stuff u need so when u are ready u have everything u need. 

If anyone else can think of some stuff he needs post it up

Reply #9
Well krap. Looks like my only manifold options to convert this to EFI are: 1) Get a Trick Flow upper and lower for $500-600, or track down a Lightning lower and a Cobra upper.

There are supposedly MAC headers that will end at the stock exhaust location for a Fox 351W swap.

Looks like this is going to be way over my possible budget.. even with what I found last night that I could sell for a couple hundred. (old Casio scientific calculator watch, they don't make 'em anymore and there's still a demand for scientific calculator watches)

Reply #10
I'm thinking that this is fading fast from the realm of possibility for me anytime soon. Maybe I'll just try to get this old watch sold (one website about them said they often go for over $400 on Ebay.. I'm monitoring an auction of one to see the final price) and see if I can get a few hundred from someone for my 351, and see about maybe getting a rebuild kit for the 5.0 or something.. with a cleanup overbore, .020 or .030, and a new set of pistons and rings. I see rebuild kits in Summit that are within reason if I can get a couple things sold here soon.

Reply #11
Up to you but i wouldn't waste your cash on rebuilding the lowly so motor,there a dime a dosen and you'd be much better off spending it on a low mileage ho motor.

Reply #12
I have no idea how much to expect to pay for someone's low-mileage HO. At least with the SO and the 351W, they are known quantities in my possession.

I'll know in a few hours, when this other guy's watch auction ends, whether or not this "find" from the other day is actually going to net me some good money. It's stuck at $147.50/9 bids with 5 and a half hours to go.. but it's mostly meaningless until the last few minutes. If it sells well, I'll put mine up for sale.. then I might have some money to work with. But even if I got $400 for that, and $400 (my share, I'll be giving my friend some money if he sells the 351) for the engine, and say $300-500 for my credit-farming operation, that's still just a little over $1000 to do any work on the car.. and about $200 of that will get eaten up putting a new tag on it.

Reply #13
there's still a demand for scientific calculator watches

And there always will be as long as College kids feel like cheating :D
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #14
That watch auction I was monitoring ended at $338..