Skip to main content
Topic: Did the 351 swap but... (Read 2656 times) previous topic - next topic

Did the 351 swap but...

I did the 351 swap today and I noticed that the oilpan is sitting right on top of the swaybar. I haven't heard anything about swapping the swaybar for this swap so was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I also found out that stock exhaust manifolds don't work.

Re: Did the 351 swap but...

Reply #1
Sit tight Extinct theres a couple of guys here who done the swap. If you don't get a quick response try private messaging mercoug302 or email him... Don't forget to post your results here so others can find out the answer from using the search button.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
im pretty sure all they do is shim it down a little. perhaps with a stack of washers or something...?
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #3
Well i dont have the sway bar on my car.
I have my susp set up for drag so no sway bar for me.
But yes the oil pan can hit the sway bar and the quick fix is to take some plates cut them and drill them to us as shims,  u can use washers but u will find when u do this there is flex in the bolts with washers so get some small plates from a mettle store and make spacers.

Reply #4
Awesome, thank you Sir, I shall attempt that this weekend  :)

Reply #5
What oil pan are you using because on my 351w there is plenty of room left, by the way Im using a rear sump pan.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
87 T-Bird turbo'd and supercharged and if things call for it juiced. :evilgrin:
88 Turbocoupe t3, 4.10's, Daily driver

Reply #6
pan i have is from a LTD 351 or something like that,
I have poly motor mounts that sit the motor down a bit more then stock too.
Mine is a rear sump too

Reply #7
What motor mounts did you use?

If you used anything else except Ford orignial mounts or NAPA replacements, your engine will actually sit about .5-1" lower than it should! I still had the rubbage problem even with the original ford mounts, only because I used a Canton 7QT race pan. What I had to do was grind down the sway bar alittle in the middle. However, after a few 1/4 mile passes and about 1700 miles of driving, it started to settle on the bar again. So I swapped out the sway bar for the ADDCO larger diameter bar that I had in my other XR7. Though the bar is larger, it has a much lower "U" in the middle, so now I have plenty of clearance. And it turns better too.
Duckin' agents like we was trapped in da matrix!

Reply #8
I used the stock mounts from the 5.0, the oil pan and motor were from an 86 Crown Vic rear sump, and the swaybar was from an 87 XR7. Guess I'll do the grind thing as well Thanks guys I'll let ya know how I make out

Reply #9
Ha, I finally got it started today was really loud with just the headers and it shook pretty bad but it ran :)

Steering thingy hits the headers but how often will I actually have to turn :I

Reply #10
so, with mounts from Napa, you can use a V6 crossmember...
On mine, it doesn't seem as if V8 mounts will line up, for a 5.8
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6