Skip to main content
Topic: 2.3 Turbo or a 5.0 (Read 4067 times) previous topic - next topic

2.3 Turbo or a 5.0

I ahve a local junkyard that has both a 2.3 turbo and a 5.0 and i was wondering wich one would be better to put into my 87 bird?
What are the hp on both and what could i do to both when im done?.............
(how much would it cost to..... ;) )

Re: 2.3 Turbo or a 5.0

Reply #1
Quote from: 87kid
I ahve a local junkyard that has both a 2.3 turbo and a 5.0 and i was wondering wich one would be better to put into my 87 bird?
What are the hp on both and what could i do to both when im done?.............
(how much would it cost to..... ;) )

I wouldnt bother with the hassle of swapping to go smaller, even if it is turbo'd. Bottom line, when all is said and done with after the swap, you will have a 4cyl when you coulda had an 8 cyl. Definately go with the 5.0.
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Reply #2
2.3T is a cool engine and everything, as a matter of fact I've been looking for a TC myself... but as chrome302 said, it's not worth the work, unless you're a 2.3 guru like Chuck.  5.0 is the easier of the two.

Reply #3
and I believe the 5.0 has a bazillion more aftermarket parts than the turbo 4

Reply #4
ok now thats thats settled has anyone ever had a shop put an engine in before? how much did it cost? how long did it take? the engine is a 5.0 out of a crown vic, its got an aod,mfi, and its $650

Reply #5
5.0 is cheaper. Go with that. If you got the funds (and determination) you can fool around with the 2.3t. Be aware that wiring a 2.3t is no picnic.  Now if i had the funds i would ditch my 5.0 in a heartbeat. Everybody and their momma has one. Just like Mustangs.

2.3Lt = 190 HP
5.0ho = 225 HP
5.0so = 150 HP
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #6
NO man don't do it(5.0 out of a crown vic) it's only got like 25 more hp than your 3.8l and falls flat on it's face at 4500rpm.
For 650 bucks you should be able to find an HO out of a stang,think about it 225hp!
Put one in my TC after ditching the cool but troublesome 2.3lTurbo and even with 16psi of boost the 2.3l doesn't hold a candle to the 5.0HO's HP and torque not to mention all of the performance parts that are available for later down the road.
Do the HO you'll love it.

Reply #7
Quote from: dominator
Do the HO you'll love it.

I thougth we were supposed to keep shag off the board???? :D

OH you mean HO 5.0.... Yea I agree...

Reply #8
i dont think they have a ho there.......... is there any way that a so can become a ho?
and also still would like to know the price on an install seeing as i dont have anywhere near the experience or tools to do this. did any other car have the ho in it cause i didnt know if thats a stang only

Reply #9
The '86-'92 LSC Lincolns had the HO, with the '88-92 having the 225 Hp('86-'87 LSC had the 200hp HO). At any rate you can use the engine, but will need the wiring harness from a 5.0 Bird or Stang...

Since you are going to have to pay for the engine, harness, computer, etc as well as labor for the swap, you may just want to think about buying a V8 Bird and selling your V6 Birdie....  Would probably cost you less and would be a lot less hassle....

Reply #10
you know theres a older couple down the road with a 5.0 i wonder if they would trade me for my nice little 3.8 cruiser. the only thing i can see wrong with it is the paint looks like a cow, splotches of it everywhere

Reply #11
I knew you guys would catch that but what can i say i love my HO! :rollin:

Reply #12
Yeah, unfortunately 2 swap cars would be ideal. A Lincoln LSC/mustang to the the 5.0 HO engine and a V8 bird to get the harnesses/motormounts/and all the little things you dont think about. Thats what I did, luckily I a friend had a v8 bird he gave me for less than $200 and a complete Lincoln LSC for $400, both of the cars I sold for junk although I wish I kept the V8 bird even though I raped it of all usefull part before they took it.  ;) Oh yeah, dont forget a TC rear end, and grab the trans from the V8 bird too...See the list keeps getting longer and longer.  :crazy:
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Reply #13
Quote from: darkthunder
Be aware that wiring a 2.3t is no picnic.

Bah..no different than any other swap....  It's not like the 2.3T never came in a Tbird/Cougar. 

For me it was the "backwards"..or as some might say.."pointless" 5.0 to 2.3T swap...  Hell, it was easy.  The Ranger was more difficult.

2.3Ts can give miles of troublefree driving and the power is there if you know how to find it.  The swap is not for most though as many blame the "mystical powers of hanging a turbo on an engine" for all/any problems instead of their lack of knowledge or ability.  It's an EEC4 car just like the rest...it's not voodoo...

All that being said, most know what direction "I" would take, but it's "your" car and if you have to ask which one is "better"...you probably don't want to do the 2.3T swap. 

At least keep it EFI....don't digress to carb...
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #14
you know...if it was a turbo coupe from the factory id say keep it a 2.3t and not molest the car. if it were anything else (sport lx 5.0 or 3.8) and id go with the V8 HO swap.

chuck...you realy seem to be the 2.3 turbo to-go-man...i was considering doing something with my 96 ranger...5 speed 2wd regcab, 4 cyl. the 5.0 would be cool and all but the idea of the 2.3t is pretty sweet. any ideas? what needs to be done and what options are their?
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~