Skip to main content
Topic: Crazy Swaps... (Read 2860 times) previous topic - next topic

Crazy Swaps...

Hello. In Mexico there are a few parts for american old cars(79-86) and yes, Ford solds many Fox cars here but very few aftermarket parts. And the mechanics have to do some crazy swaps that i seen on cougars and T-birds  and a very few stangs(i seen for other cars, but this is the most important). Here is a little list for that swaps...

1.- A 83 cougar originally V8 car converted to 2.4....normally aspirated. (In mexico there wasnt cougar 83, all were llegally from Us)

2.- A 86 T-bird with a manual 3 speed.......no comments

3.- a Mustang came with the 2.8 Cologne engine....now imagine in a 84 T-bird.

4.- An 84 Cougar with a 300 engine straight six. Was a 3.8. Yes that "indestructible engine"  was put in the car (ill sure that was a hard swap, but finished i think that is very nice) the radiator was strangely mounted....

5.- A 1984 mustang with a 4.2 engine.....i was sure that it was a 3.8 but the owner says that a older car has it and blew the mustang engine and put the old car engine in the stang...

6.- and last, but not least, and 85 cougar with a 400+CID...i tough that it was a race car, but the owner says "i want the car for towing" . That car was in the car shop for at least 3 months.....great engine, but i dont know the really proposit for "towing" with a 400+ engine...maybe he gonna tow houses or buildings....

When i was needing a new engine, was a incredible show of engines from the sellers....they offered me a SHO engine ! a 460 , a 351, a 2.3 NA, and finally the 302 and the 232. , i should take the 302. I Have the 3.8 .

Well thats all. If here in your country are rare or crazy swaps, please post here. Thank for your attention and sorry my english...
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Re: Crazy Swaps...

Reply #1
2.4NA in a fox body...ouch.

your english is pretty good and I've enjoyed reading your posts. Its nice to see owners in other countries, especially ones south of canada/united states (since most of the people here live in those countries)

If you don't mind me asking, about where do you live in Mexico?
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #2
i'd go 351 or 460 :) but thats just my opinion. i could be wrong "Dennis Miller"

Reply #3
That 4.2 engine in the '84 Mustang may have been the dreaded 81-82 4.2 (255 cubic inch) V8. It was a shrunken 5.0 and made somewhere near 110 horsepower :yuck:

It could've been a 250 inline six, too. They are 4.2 liters in metric, I think.

A buddy of mine had a '79 Mustang with a 300 six in it. The car worked pretty good (it would easily outrun the 301-powered Formula Firebird I had), but he put a Capri hood on it, which was 3" too long. It looked ridiculous.

A guy on the NATO board had a NA 2.3-powered Turbo Coupe. That's right: 88 horsepower, 3500 pounds. Ouch.

A few years ago a local car lot was selling an '85 T-Bird. I was looking for a car then, so I pulled in to get a closer look. It had a 5-lug conversion with Cragar SS wheels, which looked good. The bad: It had a stupid looking pro-street hood scoop poorly installed. It had a hurst shifter where the consolette used to be (with no shroud or cover, it was naked). The 1/4" thick bodyfill all over the car was cracked and peeling. In short, the car had been hacked to hell. The biggest shock came when I opened the hood, though: There sat a very dirty, very hacked-in 350 small-block Chevy. :barf: I have nothing against 350's, but they have no place in a Ford. Actually, I shouldn't say that was the biggest shock. The biggest shock was the price. The lot wanted $35000 for this travesty!!! Needless to say it sat there for a LOOOOONG time, and likely went for a fraction of the asking price.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
Thirty-five THOUSAND?

Reply #5
Whoops... got a little crazy with that "0" key. $3500 (though it may as well have been $35000, for what the car was really worth)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
Whew!  Still wayyy too much.  Maybe if it was done right (even with a chevy plant) and didn't have shiznitty body work.

Reply #7
I'm working on an 3.0 SHO swap into my 84 XR-7.....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #8
Quote from: Chuck W
I'm working on an 3.0 SHO swap into my 84 XR-7.....

Mmmmm, SHO motors are the best.  The only v6 I've seen to hit max power at 7k.  And when the secondaries kickin at 3500 or so it's like the "NAWWWWS" button.

Reply #9
Thanks for all the replies...

i Didnt choose the Sho Motor because i need to get the computer too, and here the Computer cost the equivalent of the engine (yes, if the engine costs 500 Usd, the computer cost, at least 400 Usd) and is for a FWD car, i should to do too many adaptations for my old car, but installed will be a 190+ hp car....but the 3.8 is good for now.
I was living in Teacapan, state of Sinaloa and i was here for two years. Now with the University i went for the car and Im from Tepic, In the state of Nayarit.  Yes , i am the only guy at the University with a Cougar. Imagine it at side with a Sentra (typical students car) or a civic, my car looks like a luxury boat....and the ricers existe here, too.....
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #10
The SHO ECUs aren't that much....you were getting screwed on that...but yes, it will require alot of work to adapt it to RWD.  Stock is more like 200+..but who says I'm going to leave it stock :hick:
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo