Skip to main content
Topic: 88 Turbo Coupe Project (Read 1342 times) previous topic - next topic

88 Turbo Coupe Project

Figured I'd make a project thread to share my experience of putting my TC back on the road  :birdsmily:

got it back in September of 2019 for $1000 and I've done quite a lot of work to it

I'll add some pictures to the thread later

• swapped out the teves master cylinder with a good used one since the pump was dead on mine
  • rear end rebuilt since it was worn out / I think it was run low on fluid since it had a leaky wheel seal and it ended up wearing out the rear end
  • valve job done on the head and installed a RR Cam with roller followers and the nice ranger valve cover gasket
  • new rack and pinion, tie rod ends, and sway bar bushings / end links
  • had a hurst short throw in it already which was nice since the factory shifters are junk
  • Esslinger cam gear to retard the timing some to gain some top end back with the RR cam
  • catch can between the intake and PCV valve
  • ported E6 manifold with the EGR port converted to a wastegate port
  • Stinger FMIC
  • Stinger 3" single exhaust with a dynomax ultra flo and no catalytic converter
  • modified fox mustang cold air intake to work for the 2.3T (basically just trimmed the pipes down)
  • Aeromotive AFPR set to factory pressure (got it for cheap and figured I'd need it at some point)
  • powder coated the valve cover, upper intake, and coolant lines
  • new clutch slave and master
  • autometer boost, oil pressure, and water temp gauges since the factory ones weren't too reliable

I recently acquired a parts lot that came with a mildly ported head with a Bo-port 2.1 cam so I'll be installing it soon

also bought a rebuilt factory .63 SVO turbo to replace the IHI with

the Pimp ECU is probably the next big upgrade I'd like to do so I'm on the lookout for a used one
1988 Thunderbird V6: all stock other than the radio

1988 Thunderbird TC: Chip's Ranger R Cam (with Esslinger cam gear), Stinger FMIC, .60/.63 SVO Turbo, Pimp V1.4, Spartan2 Wideband, Forge DP BOV

Re: 88 Turbo Coupe Project

Reply #1
Sounds like an awesome project and you weren't kidding...you have been pretty busy.  Keep us updated on the progress, some inspiration is always a good thing.

Reply #2
You have been busy!!!  Sounds nice.

Any pictures?
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #3
Here's some pictures

I'd like to get a paint job one day lol

1988 Thunderbird TC: Chip's Ranger R Cam (with Esslinger cam gear), Stinger FMIC, .60/.63 SVO Turbo, Pimp V1.4, Spartan2 Wideband, Forge DP BOV

Reply #4
good work!  Whats the gold foil on the intake pipe?
Mike

Reply #5
good work!  Whats the gold foil on the intake pipe?

I bought the intercooler kit used so the previous owner had that heat tape on it already