Skip to main content
Topic: '83-'86 Window Weatherstripping (Read 25830 times) previous topic - next topic

'83-'86 Window Weatherstripping

I worked on the windows of the '86 last night, then today from 11am to 7pm. I was able to replace all of the trim, including the main channel trim that goes around the frame.
I replaced the dew wipes with the parts that I ordered from JC Whitney (thanks to Eric for the part numbers).
I also replaced the felt channel trim that goes into the vertical bar between the vent window and the main glass. It's for the main glass side.
This was all new stuff, too. It cost me about $60 total, but it's WELL worth it. The dew wipes are kind of a universal deal, so I had to remove the old ones from the trim and pop rivet the new ones into place. That was the worst part of the whole thing. Again, thanks to Eric for the walkthrough on this process.

All of the window channel trim was cracked and brittle. It literally shattered in my hands as I tried to remove it. I suppose that's 20 years of Florida sun.
I went to the junkyard this morning to look for a possible replacement. I spent an hour looking at Lincolns until I stumbled onto an unexpected find: A 2-door 1992 Mercury Topaz. When I examined the window channel trim, it seemed like a close enough match. I had no idea how perfect it was.
This stuff fit PERFECTLY into the window frame. Absolutely everything matched up.
EDIT[/u]: It has been reported that the weatherstripping will not fit doors with full glass; it falls about 3" short. That means that this modification is limited only to those who have vent windows.
I'll attach a photo of the comparison in size.
The best part is that it's the nice, soft, pliable rubber. Those windows are AIR TIGHT now. It's amazing.

When looking for the right Tempo/Topaz, make sure it's a 2-door with manual windows. You can simply crank down the windows and begin to work out the weatherstripping. Begin at the top and work to the back corner. There will some extra weatherstripping that goes down inside the door. This is so the glass doesn't work its way out of the channel. Install the weatherstripping just like it is in the Tempo/Topaz. If you have vent windows, you can simply cut off what you don't need and trim it to meet up with the vent channel felt.

Here are some shots of how the trim looked before.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #1
Here are some after shots. Better than factory, I say.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
Cool, I've been eyeing some of the JC Whitney stuff for the dew wipes myself.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #3
Here are the last photos to upload.
One shot is of the new dew wipe attached to the trim.
The other picture illustrates how the dimensions of the Topaz channel weatherstripping is a VERY close match to our doors. I really hope this can help other people who may need to replace theirs. Again, the channel weatherstripping from the Topaz is the soft, pliable rubber. I don't hear a thing at 70mph.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
You know, I've often wondered about the 2-door Topaz's and Tempo's. The doors themselves even look the same. I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if the window, molding, rubber, etc is all identical.

Reply #5
i wound if thay have some for non vent window my dew wipe looks like yours did. they should
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #6
Quote from: cougar86_89
i wound if thay have some for non vent window my dew wipe looks like yours did. they should

The dew wipes that I ordered were much longer than what you see in the photos. I had to trim about 12" from them.
I'm not 100% positive, but I think they would be long enough for non-vent window doors.

I'm attaching one more photo.
It illustrates how easy it is to use this stuff. It simply gets snugged right into the channel. Once you get the back corner tucked in, you can snug the rest of it right up to the vent window - then trim it.
I didn't use any glue or sealant, and I have experienced no leaking in any way. I would suggest you don't use glue or sealant.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #7
that looks great could you share them numbers you got from eric please all the window trim and what not are shot to hell in my 83 cougar

1983 v8 302 cougar
ok for some reason some thought it was a good idea to post neg about how long my sig was in my post when it was within the letter amount so ill ask whats your problem :flip: :flip: :flip:

myspace page
http://www.myspace.com/caffine231

Reply #8
No problem.

JC Whitney - 800-529-4486
http://www.jcwhitney.com

1983-86 dew wipes (outside, mounts to aluminum piece, cut to fit; remove factory staples, drill new holes and pop rivet on):
KM819751 - $14.99 each - 2 required

Vent window felt (goes inside channel)
KM810358 - 26.99 - 1 required

As I said before, thanks to Eric for all of this information. It would have been a "needle in a haystack" kind of search, otherwise.
The description for the vent window felt may say it's for a Bronco or Ranger, but it's fit my car just the same.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
hey thanks alot to you and eric :bowdown: :bowdown: this is going to help alot

1983 v8 302 cougar
ok for some reason some thought it was a good idea to post neg about how long my sig was in my post when it was within the letter amount so ill ask whats your problem :flip: :flip: :flip:

myspace page
http://www.myspace.com/caffine231

Reply #11
Quote from: EricCoolCats
Don't thank me....thank JC Whitney! ;)

If everyone could act out this thread very cheesy. It would make a great JC Whitney commercial.

Also, Eric actually winking at the end with a twinkle would be the clincher! :giggle:
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #12
haha.

does two requierd mean that you have to buy two? i only need the driver side.  but i guess  both would look good. and what is thius bout a rivet? did you take the glass out or just roll it all the way down?
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #13
Yes, one for each side. You may as well replace both since you have to do one.
You do not have to remove the glass. Roll it all the way down, pull the mirrors, then remove the screw behind the mirror and the quick-nut on the other side.
You have to "negotiate" with the lower trim to get it out (pull up on it), but it will eventually come out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #14
The original dew wipes are stapled into the aluminum window trim. So remove the staples and it comes right off. To reattach correctly, you will need to drill some holes through the dew wipes AND trim, and use pop rivets to attach them together. I've found a cheap but decent pop rivet gun at Wal*Mart before. Shouldn't really need more than 1/8" rivets. When/if you would ever need to change the dew wipes again simply drill out the rivets.