Skip to main content
Topic: sn95 brake swap quewstion (Read 1099 times) previous topic - next topic

sn95 brake swap quewstion

I installed 5 lug spindles/brakes from an 99-04 Mustang on my 87 Cougar . On the pass side the numbers are: xr37AA on the spindle and 1067 on the caliper bracket . On the drivers side the numbers are: xr38AA and 9246 . The thing that puzzles me is I needed an adapter to mate the drivers side brake hose with the hard line from the master cylinder (3/8-24 inverted female 7/16-24 inverted male ) but the adapter is too big for the passenger side . Shouldn't the hoses have the same size fittings on both sides?

Reply #1
Like the turbo coupe the left and right hoses have different threads. You have to match the inverted flare nut to your brake lines. All you need to do is make up new lines with the proper fittings. You may have enough slack in the line to cut and re-flare after installing the proper line NUT. Personally i replace all the hard line with rust proof hard line or Stainless.

If i am reading your post correctly you are saying the soft line on the brakes you are installing have the same size fittings. But the car's hard line has different size fittings CORRECT?? Many cars are set up this way so the hoses cant be swapped from side to side by mistake. This was common years ago but does not hold true today. Like i said the TC has different threads from side to side on the hard line and the soft line. I think this is what you are talking about. It is very common in older cars.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #2
Yup, you need the adaptor. Even with TC/Stang 5.0 11" brake my Sport needed the adapter both sides. However, like yours, when I went with SN95 brakes, it only needed the driver side to have the fitting.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6