Skip to main content
Topic: Passenger window (Read 2504 times) previous topic - next topic

Passenger window

My passenger side window doesn't seem to want to stay glued to the arm that raises and lowers the window. On the arm there are two points where the window was held in by some kind of glue or epoxy. After mine came unglued I tried a bunch of different kinds of silicone and what not to keep it glued to the arm, but it would only hold for about 5-6 times of opening and closing the window. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you use to fix it? I can take a pic of what I am talking about if needed.

Re: Passenger window

Reply #2
:banana:  :slap:  :slap:  :slap:  :slap:  :banana:

Door glass came off the track and dropped - by Nate Killmon

You need to get some windshield Urethane adhesive. You can find it in most parts stores like NAPA, etc. It's made by several companies like 3M, Sika, Esshag, QuickDry and few others. Take some emery cloth or mild sandpaper and roughen up both the inside of the clips and the glass where the clips go. Next drill 1 or 2 small holes (drill bit size either 3/16 to 1/4 inch in diameter) into each clip. This hole(s) will allow the urethane to escape, preventing air pockets, as well as acting like an anchor pin. This hole(s) is the trick to getting a good bond between the clip and glass. After drilling the holes and scuffing the clips and glass, clean both the glass contact areas and plastic clips well with acetone or alcohol (be careful with acetone, it will eat plastic quick). Once it's clean and dry you can apply the urethane. Seat the window in the clips and put the window all the way up. You MUST leave it up for at least 48 hours to allow the urethane to fully cure.

DO NOT waste your time or money on rear view mirror glue, silicone, or other regular glues and adhesives. Yes they will hold it, but only for a limited period of time before they separate again. Do it right, Do it once! The glass is very heavy and there is alot of pressure applied to it going up and down.

Esshag U-418HV Quick Cure Urethane Adhesive.

Tip from Pete... "Also make sure all sliding/moving parts move free and easy. When I did
mine I found the glide bar that the window glass attaches to was full of a sand like substance and moved stiffly. I think this may have had something to do with the glass pulling out in the first place + it puts more strain on the motor. I spent quite awhile cleaning the slide and lubed everything. It's working well now."

Reply #3
Thanks, now I can have a car with both windows working :banana:  I can't even remember when it came unglued it was such a long time ago.

Reply #4
Be very careful with those plastic clips.  They are brittle, and you can't buy new ones unless there's an expensive piece of glass attached.  Mine have been broken for several years, and good quality duct tape is holding the remains to the windows.  It lasts for a few years if you use the good stuff & clean the glass before you tape it.

Reply #6
Any idea of manufacturer and/or part number?  I checked every glass shop in this area ~6 months ago & came up with nada.

Reply #7
Quote from: EricCoolCats
Glass shops carry aluminum clips now...not cheap but they'll never break.

How much are we talking, I have two windows in diffrent cars that need it...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #8
Shop that does my glass charges $50 per window for new aluminum clips, gluing and alignment (and removal/replacement of door panel if needed). Clips are like $25 each by themselves.