Skip to main content
Topic: O rings on fuel injectors (Read 2295 times) previous topic - next topic

O rings on fuel injectors

Ok i just got finished painting my lower intake manifold on my 5.0 and i figured while the fuel rail and fuel injectors were out i might as well replace the o rings on the injectors, but how do i get the lower o ring on the bottom (part that sits in the manifold) off? it doesn't want to slide off b/c of that nasty lip, so should i just try cutting it off?

Tony
1987 Tbird 5.0 swap, go fast mods coming soon....

Re: O rings on fuel injectors

Reply #2
The o-ring shouldn't be sitting in the manifold.  It should have come off with the injector.  If you wanna go all out just get a service kit that includes 2-orings and a cap for each injector.  You'll need 8 kits in total.

Reply #3
 i need filters too?.......... :shoothead

fuel injection!

Reply #4
how do i get the lower o ring on the bottom (part that sits in the manifold) off? it doesn't want to slide off b/c of that nasty lip, so should i just try cutting it off?
The o-ring is rubber, so it should stretch a bit. Try pinching it with two fingers and "squooshing" it to the side; that may create enough of a bulge to slip a toothpick or something under it. If you have a seal pick (looks like an ice pick with the tip bent 90 degrees), you could hook it out of the groove. Or use something softer than the surrounding metal, like a sharpened popsicle stick. If you insist on trying to cut it, be very careful, as a scratch on the sealing surface in the groove could create a leak that can't be fixed.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #5
no you actually dont need the filters,, you actually need to get rid of them once and for all.  I dont know what the "cap" part is mentioned before but if it doesnt come with new screen filters,, your waisting you money on the kits.  Bying plain jane rubber orings of the highest quality will not run you more than 1 doallar at worst case.

You can extract your old screens,, clean em , reshape em and reinstall em.

mmm,, maybe the caps are the bottom of the injectors,, correct?? :dunno:

Reply #6
Yeah, jcassity, the caps I refer to kinda slide onto the bottom of the injectors.  I'm hoping I won't have regretted not replacing mine on the Grand Marquis.

Reply #7
just got the buggers off with a dental pick things were a royal pain in the ass! i just hooked the pick behind the ring the pulled it up and out pushing it over the top of the cap with me fingers. so yippee! done