Skip to main content
Topic: I think I'm going to revoke my wife's license... (Read 1380 times) previous topic - next topic

I think I'm going to revoke my wife's license...

So after a wreck my wife had about 1.5 yrs ago, that actually wasn't her fault and totalled the car, we got a nice check from the insurance company and put a down payment on a new car. At the time, knowing how new cars immediately depreciate as rapidly as they do, I made a point to be sure we had GAP coverage on the loan so we didn't get screwed over if the new car was totalled for some reason. Well that loan had an obscenely high interest rate and after a good year or so of payments she had it refinanced. I wasn't involved in this process and I didn't have to foresight this time to make sure she continued some sort of GAP coverage with the new loan and didn't really think about it.

Well as you probably guessed, she totalled that car about 2 weeks ago. Driving drowsy early in the morning and plowed into the back of a brand new Explorer stopped at the back of the line for a school bus on a long boring 2 lane highway on the way to work. One of those incidents where you immediately know the car is done. And of course, she didn't get the GAP coverage on the new one, which she only finalized less than a month before the incident. So naturally, now we had to cover $3700 difference on that.

The insurance policy does have rental coverage, so we were renting for about a week due to neither of us having time to get out and do any real car shopping. Today I get a call from her that she rolled off the road in the rental, hit a large decorative landscaping rock in someones yard and subsequently bent the rim, scratched up the hubcap, flattened the tire, and trashed the fenderwell all in one go.:punchballs:

This woman is trying to do me in...
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #1
Make her pay her own insurance...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Why does she keep having driving incidents in the first place?
Is it bad luck, inattentiveness, does she work long hours, have a long drive?

Eliminate the problem, first. ;)

(not saying that to slam her...don't take it that I'm being insulting..not my point)

I see so many people these days driving with a phone in their hand. It's bad enough with all the distractions newer cars have, let alone with the internet in the palm of your hand.

Not saying at all that this is your case, but it's out there. Glad your woman is injury free. Hope you guys' luck turns around ASAP. :D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #4
Please tell me she had insurance, the optional coverage, on the rental car!