Skip to main content
Topic: Ecoboost Stang coming soon! (Read 14555 times) previous topic - next topic

Ecoboost Stang coming soon!

Reply #1
Wonder how long the HP ratings can stay up and still meet EPA mpg standards?  Its like the 2nd coming of the muscle car era right now and I'm loving it!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #2
Sure seems like the Ecoboost is the future.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
What no "Ecoboost" 5.8 V8 for the Shelby GT500? That's where it should go. The power of a V10 with the gas mileage of a V8 ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
Quote from: nbzimmer;377622
Sure seems like the Ecoboost is the future.

Turbos have offered the best combination of efficient performance for a long time now. They just have the downside of being more expensive to purchase.

I can't help but to wonder how far the turbo cars would have come already if Ford had continued with the turbo four cylinders back in the late 80's.
...and there was light!

Reply #5
Quote from: 50tbrd88;377614
  Its like the 2nd coming of the muscle car era right now and I'm loving it!

I agree.  I think it is even more so now, the HP ratings, retro styling, and much better MPG.
Mike

Reply #6
i don't know why, but i'm not feeling the muscle car '2nd era' thing at all.. the mustang and camaro never struck me as muscle cars.. a muscle car in my mind is a big car with big power.. ie - torinos, chevelles, etc etc.. plus the whole gas mileage aspect of it doesn't fit in with it for me..
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #7
The current "6" is decent but OMG, thank you for this Ford if it happens. I didn't think it would happen either, and I hope it does.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #8
Mustangs and cougars could have had more power stock then a chevelle, and not much lighter. I think in 1967 the mustang actually weighed more then the chevelle. More gas mileage is better. Why wouldn't you want it to be better?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #9
Quote from: Shadow;377679
i don't know why, but i'm not feeling the muscle car '2nd era' thing at all.. the mustang and camaro never struck me as muscle cars.. a muscle car in my mind is a big car with big power.. ie - torinos, chevelles, etc etc.. plus the whole gas mileage aspect of it doesn't fit in with it for me..

Personally I don't care if you call them muscle cars, sports cars, or super cars anything that pushes over 400 hp and can come with a 6 speed, from the factory, is awesome in my book. The funny part is these new performance cars are much better at everything compared to anything made in the late 60's early 70's.
...and there was light!

Reply #10
Quote from: Haystack;377681
More gas mileage is better. Why wouldn't you want it to be better?

it's not a concern to me.. call me spoiled or stupid, but i'd rather have a 600rwhp/10-12mpg pushrod motor than 500rwhp/25+mpg OHC motor.. i don't really care about gas mileage, never have and probably never will.. i'll only ever care if gas prices reach $5/gallon, which it's never even reached $4 around here.. if/when it does, i'll start mixing with methanol again, which i still do with my capri and blue bird anyway

Quote from: T-BirdX3;377682
The funny part is these new performance cars are much better at everything compared to anything made in the late 60's early 70's.

performance wise, of course.. 30-40+ years of innovation better have produced better numbers, or else they should have just hung it up.. but as far as styling, i'm sorry, but there's nothing about these newer cars that would ever make me want to own 1 over the original.. especially the disgusting camaro and ford's eff up on the redesign of the 'restrostang..'

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #11
Having paid over $4 a gallon, I even filled a 22 gallon tank just shy of $5 a gallon. I think your an idiot.

Methonal also uses about twice the amount of fuel as gas, so unless it costs less then half, you are wasting your time. Amd he more efficiantly your motor is running, the better power, and to an extent, the better gas mileage you should be getting. I kniw guys with 300hp carbs that are getting 25+. I also know several people that used to tune vw's that were getting 1.6 liters over 200hp, and over 50mpg.

If you can't get better power with decent mileage your doing it wrong.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #12
300rwhp is a far cry from 600+rwhp, in terms of everything.. i don't know what the actual numbers are with the capri, as it's never seen a dyno in it's life, but it averages 14mpg with 1 gallon of methanol to 21 gallons of gas (running 22 gallon fuel cell).. i'm totally fine with the gas mileage it gets, as the power is incredible, both on the street and at the track.. i only pay $130 for a 55 gallon drum of methanol, when i buy more than 1.. i always buy at least 2, because the micros run on methanol.. at $130 for 55 gallons, it comes to about $2.36 a gallon.. usually, i buy 4 drums and sell it at the track for $4 a gallon, plus $3 for a pint of Benol (methanol 2 stroke oil), so it's making me money.. not costing me a cent

Reply #13
Quote from: thunderjet302;377624
What no "Ecoboost" 5.8 V8 for the Shelby GT500? That's where it should go. The power of a V10 with the gas mileage of a V8 ;).

The 2013 GT500 is already replete with V10 power....
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/drives/2013-ford-shelby-gt500

As far as gas mileage they're saying no gas guzzler tax.  Not bad for a 650 HP car that is capable of 200 MPH out of the box for an estimated 60-65K.  If things play out right for me, this is on the buy list.

the mustang and camaro never struck me as muscle cars.. a muscle car in my mind is a big car with big power.
Considering at what these 2 particular cars tip the scales at nowadays I think it's safe to put them into that category as opposed to the older ones which were indeed "pony cars."  Big difference is the new ones can actually negotiate the twisties.

but there's nothing about these newer cars that would ever make me want to own 1 over the original.. especially the disgusting camaro and ford's eff up on the redesign of the 'restrostang..'

To each his own with regards to style, but it's hard to deny the appeal of progress.  Case in point:  My 2005 has extensive powertrain mods and a decent amount of suspension mods.  Bottom 12's/high 11's are where it sits at the moment.  Right in line with a bone stock 30s Boss Laguna Seca.....

I just flipped though an issue of Car and Driver the other day.  Road test of a Buick....it hit .90g on the skidpad..... A BUICK!

Me & the wife just purchased a brand new Focus with the 2.0.  I;m actually bummed that we were in such need of a reliable commuter at the time because I would have loved to have waited the few months and got the turbo version.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #14
How is it much different? If I know 5 guys that can get 300 hp from a carbed 302 and 25mpg, why couldn't someone with a wideband and fuel injection get 600 out of a larger and more powerful motor? How are they getting 400hp and 30mpg out of the mustangs and camaros? The more efficent and engine runs, the better power it will get. You mixing in methonal just hurts gas mileage and changes your tune. You might get better power, but it kills your mileage.

Remember david claffin on sbftech. I think he is running 11's and getting 28mpg highway.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.