Skip to main content
Topic: 347 0r 351 (Read 6211 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 347 0r 351

Reply #15
Quote from: CougarCoupe88
yeah but your forgetting one thing a 347 will walk away from a 351 all day long and most 351's are dogs  mostly just extra weight unless you redo the whole thing a cam .30 over and new heads up the comp. and then you need the headers intakes oil pan and im not sure but dont the acc. brakets need to be diff. and when it's all said and done you probably spend some more cash and have a 347 that runs like a son of a .  with small changes . like some gt40's and a cam and intake bc stock stuff still sucks but you will have an ass load of tourqe that the 351 cant touch. when it's all said and done. 

the hardest thing about the 347 is the block work . you could also do a 342 a 347 stroker kit that isnt .30 over. it's been done.

i myself was thinking of the 347 but think it may be much for the stang but would have been great in the cougar.

Just remember, that any trick you can do to a 5.0 based engine, also applies to a 5.8-I saw a 427 Windsor that was just sick, no 347 in the land would touch it, it was about a 15,000 dollar engine  :dunno:  :screwy:
I would stick to a 331, or a bit bigger, with a blower, and a decent shot of nitrous...'course, that 427 stroker kit is mostly aluminum-so the weight is offset-it's you call
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #16
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek
Just remember, that any trick you can do to a 5.0 based engine, also applies to a 5.8-I saw a 427 Windsor that was just sick, no 347 in the land would touch it, it was about a 15,000 dollar engine  :dunno:  :screwy:
I would stick to a 331, or a bit bigger, with a blower, and a decent shot of nitrous...'course, that 427 stroker kit is mostly aluminum-so the weight is offset-it's you call

Yea but 393-408 strokers for the 351 are cheep.... :D

Gonna do a 406 one of these days for my bird... Already have the kit, and a .020 over 351 roller block. Still need to clearance the block and get it ballanced...

Reply #17
Quote from: Manson
get a beefed up hampster and a good hapster wheel, then weld that bitch to the imput shaft. you'll do burnouts all day with that combo :p

Ppfffft, hamsters. If you wanna big power you gotta go guine pig. :hick:

Reply #18
:laughing:

... Today We will be installing a gineau pig that is 14 cubic inches bigger and has a longer stroke.  Now If your a REAL speed freak you can swap outh the stock gineau pig for a jackrabbit
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #19
Meh, those jack rabbits are allright for the track but they got no bottom end for the street. If you drive mostly on the street and don't see track duty much there's no substitute for a groundhog.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #20
if this would have been my first post I would not be back. I guess I just got lucky and you guys were nice to me. I dont mean to diss nobody or nothing, but I didnt know nothing when I came to the boards, and I wouldnt think very good things about it if that was one of my first posts.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #21
Quote from: Haystack
if this would have been my first post I would not be back. I guess I just got lucky and you guys were nice to me. I dont mean to diss nobody or nothing, but I didnt know nothing when I came to the boards, and I wouldnt think very good things about it if that was one of my first posts.

I'd say that, when you make a board name like "I'm gay as hell" on a car forum, that you're opening yourself to this sort of ridicule. Just a guess, though. Not saying it's right, not saying it's wrong.

In your case, I have to resist the urge to call you "Hayseed".. but it's just a play-on-words thing. :p

Reply #22
you can call me hay seed . I prolly wont remember or respond to it though. As long as its all in good fun I dont really care. I am just saying it makes this forum look bad.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #23
I rather think this "ridicule" started because of the amount of (and nature of) questions the topic starter asks in the forum. Far be it for me to ridicule a newbie to the T-Bird/Cougar scene, given that I was once a newbie myself (I actually once did not know that a TC hood would fit a non-TC, and I actually thought that these cars came with the HO from the factory when I bought my first one, and worse, I once embarrassed myself by having a letter to "ASK BERNIE" in MM&FF magazine published with some REALLY stupid questions), but when it all comes down to it, with certain topics, if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be asking. Some mechanical procedures are far beyond the scope of a newb, including engine swaps, gear swaps, tranny swaps, etc. There's nothing wrong with satisfying one's curiosity, but asking how to do a 351 or 347 swap when you obviously have very little automotive knowledge is an excercise in futility. We all know the chances of this swap happening are very slim.

Of course, the username likely has a bunch to do with it as well. I'd like to think that nobody here would care whether the person is gay or not, but when one signs in with a username like "I'm Gay As Hell", whether or not one is gay, one's got a perceived chip on his shoulder and can expect a bit of backlash and a lukewarm welcome. Myself, I've got no problems with gays (as has been driven into the ground in the other forum) but I do have distaste for somebody using it almost as a dare ("Go ahead, make fun of me" kind of thing). I'm sure others have similar distastes, and I'm certain that there are even those that hate gays in general, but since I've had no complaints about the user or his name (just a heads up to watch for potential trouble because of the name) I have let it be. I've locked a thread or two that he started, but ironically enough, the locks had nothing to do with the thread starter.

Make the board look bad? The very fact that the user came here with that name and aside from an offhand comment or two didn't get raked over the coals over it shows just how good natured we (usually) are around here. Anyone can see that this ribbing is all in good fun...

...either that, or Shawn's just a bitch:nutkick:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #24
I think this would've been a bigger deal on the old board. Since the move to this board, it seems that the overall attitude of the board is hardening a little bit. I chalk it up to growing pains, others chalk it up to CougarNuts or whatever dying off.. (don't know, I don't visit it.. I've heard the horror stories) but ultimately who knows why?

Anyway, if the thread Lostcause trashed the other day can survive without a lock, I'm sure this one will manage.

Reply #25
Quote from: CougarCoupe88
yeah but your forgetting one thing a 347 will walk away from a 351 all day long and most 351's are dogs  mostly just extra weight unless you redo the whole thing a cam .30 over and new heads up the comp. and then you need the headers intakes oil pan and im not sure but dont the acc. brakets need to be diff. and when it's all said and done you probably spend some more cash and have a 347 that runs like a son of a .  with small changes . like some gt40's and a cam and intake bc stock stuff still sucks but you will have an ass load of tourqe that the 351 cant touch. when it's all said and done. 

the hardest thing about the 347 is the block work . you could also do a 342 a 347 stroker kit that isnt .30 over. it's been done.

i myself was thinking of the 347 but think it may be much for the stang but would have been great in the cougar.

What makes you say that?

All in all, my 351 project costed me probably 200.00 more than a 5.0 would've with the same buildup. This was only because I had to buy a NEW distributor and the fact that the 351W GT-40 lower costs a couple dollars more than the 5.0 one does. But I am running a totally stock 1997 F-250 shortblock with 5.0L heads and a mild 5.0L roller cam (e-303 spec) and made 311 rwhp and 375 ft/lbs. I for one would never build a 347 that wasn't based on a sportsman block or better as 5.0L blocks tend to flex without a stroker kit. So right there your starting point is going to cost more money. You can build a 347 that will run, but getting it to last is another story. At least a 351 block is spec'd to withstand the piston speed on a larger stroke and as SirChirp said, has a better rod length to stroke ratio (allowable by the taller deck) so your block does not flex like it would with a stroker kit.
Duckin' agents like we was trapped in da matrix!

Reply #26
This site is too easy for people to use and find.  That's how we get the idiots in here.  Not saying anyone in here is said idiot.  A lot of new people have shown up that actually know something and aren't here to ask dumb questions, but this site's ease of use and accessibility is what allows more bad in along with more good people.  Again, I'm not talking in specific reference to this thread.  But we've had a LOT more locked threads on this board than the old one.

Reply #27
Ok what i have learned in 3 pages?

Oh ya 351 is better then 347,  If your gay who cares.
If your new here and ask dumb stuff so what everyone has to start some were.
if a bear shiznits in woods do we realy care?
If the door to shop was not stuck in Ice the car would be inside already.
But today i go and pick up a shell for all my stuff to go into.

Reply #28
Quote from: SirChirpAlot
Ok what i have learned in 3 pages?

Oh ya 351 is better then 347,  If your gay who cares.
If your new here and ask dumb stuff so what everyone has to start some were.
if a bear shiznits in woods do we realy care?
If the door to shop was not stuck in Ice the car would be inside already.
But today i go and pick up a shell for all my stuff to go into.

Chirp... I never knowed you had such deep intellectual thoughts... :hick:

BTW... you ought to think about movin' South, I'm yet to have my shop door freeze shut...

Reply #29
Personally, I will take a 351 over a 347 any day of the week, especially if you plan on putting any miles on the car. As far as a 302 walking away from a 351 any day of the week  :nono: :bs:, built to the same specs, there is no way a 302 can keep up with a 351 and you can build a naturally aspirated 400 horse 351 that you can drive every single day if you choose.