Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing Intake, throttle body- questions? (Read 15508 times) previous topic - next topic

Replacing Intake, throttle body- questions?

Reply #105
Here's a few pictures of the underside of the car before I had to take everything apart.XXX
1987 Turbo Coupe, 306, Trick Flow Track Heat heads, Comp Cam, Trick Flow Pistons, Eagle Rods, Center Force clutch, T-5, 8.8 w/373 gears, and a bunch more

Reply #106
Ugh. That sucks that it leaked.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #107
Well, I think I fixed the leak. Ended up removing the pan and replacing the 1 piece FelPro gasket. Used Permatex synthetic oil resistant sealant on both sides of the front and rear seals, left it set up for a day. Looks like it worked. Filled it today- no leaks. Used the block hole for my dipstick. Had to shorten the tube because the Hamburger 7 qt pan does not have the recess to allow the dipstick to go past the pan lip. Now it's at the same depth as a stock pan. The pan actually holds 9 qts to the stock fill line. Plenty of oil for this motor. Got the motor installed, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, trans, drive shaft, and exhaust installed in 2 1/2 hrs. I don't want to do this again.
1987 Turbo Coupe, 306, Trick Flow Track Heat heads, Comp Cam, Trick Flow Pistons, Eagle Rods, Center Force clutch, T-5, 8.8 w/373 gears, and a bunch more

Reply #108
X Since I had the motor out thought I'd take a picture of the motor mounts I'm using.

Reply #109
Well the motor is in and the 7 qt oil pan actually holds 9 qts. That is  using the stock dipstick in the block. All the fluids are in. I'll see  if I have any puddles under the car in the morning. Still need to bleed  the brakes, replace the gas tank, and re-install the interior I removed  to weld the frame connectors. Maybe try and start it sometime next week.  Say a prayer for me. With all of the problems it took me 2 months of  solid work to complete the Phase 4 Remodel. It should  of taken me 5 weeks to build a new motor, replace everything connected  to it, new fuel system from the injectors to the tank, new brake system  from the master cylinder to the calipers, replace flywheel, clutch and  pressure plate, new custom frame connectors, new ball joints, "U"  joints, clean and paint the underside of the car. Took about a ten  months to collect all the parts needed.XXX

Reply #110
A couple more of the motor.XX

Reply #111
Looks great. 
What gas tank are you going with?  I replaced mine earlier this year with the Autozone model.  Of course my gas gauge went on the fritz afterwards and the car wouldn't start until I had 10 gallons of fuel in the tank.
Good luck on starting it soon!
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #112
My Canton 7 qt pan holds 7 qts. The manufacturer specifically requires the use of their inpan dipstick and you plug the hole in the block for the stock dipstick. Most tap the existing hole and put a pipe plug in it.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #113
Quote from: Aerocoupe;467782
My Canton 7 qt pan holds 7 qts. The manufacturer specifically requires the use of their inpan dipstick and you plug the hole in the block for the stock dipstick. Most tap the existing hole and put a pipe plug in it.
No information like that came with the Hamburger pan kit from Summit. I didn't think it was a problem because the dipstick is in the stock depth. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check and see what they say.

Reply #114
Quote from: Mikey97D;467777
Looks great. 
What gas tank are you going with?  I replaced mine earlier this year with the Autozone model.  Of course my gas gauge went on the fritz afterwards and the car wouldn't start until I had 10 gallons of fuel in the tank.
Good luck on starting it soon!
The gas tank I used was from Rock Auto, looks just like the original, pretty sturdy.

Fuel Tank- $134
              Spectra Premium, F23C

I'm using a AutoMeter fuel gauge and the sending unit is,

Fuel Tank Sending Unit- $103
              Tanks, Inc, T-ORG-06, 73-10 ohm, 6”

Reply #115
Quote from: tommym;467794
The gas tank I used was from Rock Auto, looks just like the original, pretty sturdy.

Fuel Tank- $134
              Spectra Premium, F23C

I'm using a AutoMeter fuel gauge and the sending unit is,

Fuel Tank Sending Unit- $103
              Tanks, Inc, T-ORG-06, 73-10 ohm, 6”
Thank you for the info on the sending unit and gauge you are using.  Enjoying the pictures you are posting up on Facebook too.
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #116
Quote from: Mikey97D;467835
Thank you for the info on the sending unit and gauge you are using.  Enjoying the pictures you are posting up on Facebook too.

I figure by posting pictures and a running commentary I'll be able to help someone avoid problems with parts or assembly. Most people that start a project like this do not realize the costs involved and when they do they end up sacrificing quality or skipping a step. I spent around 10 months doing research, seeing what others have done, and buying parts. I made the decision to use only new parts knowing the cost involved. I have a detailed parts list in a word dospoogeent if anyone is interested.

Reply #117
Finally got the car done! Had a few? problems.
My new MSD distributor had the shaft seize on it after 1 hour of run time at idle. Really weird. I was watching the car idle, checking the timing, all of a sudden the distributor turned left and the car died. The brace on the A/C kept it from turning more. Surprised it didn't snap the TFI module off. Pulled the distributor and the shaft was frozen. MSD said they will repair or replace it. Next I was having trouble using my timing light. It's one with the digital display where you can see RPM and adjust the timing so you can see TDC. Found a bad coil wire at the cap. Got it running. Actually took it for a test drive, hood off. Wow. Horsepower! Pulls the left fender up leaving a stop light. I didn't push it but it tracks straight and the ass end dips. Very easy to break the tires loose. Ron, who's been helping me, took it for a test run and came walking back to the shop. Car quit about a 100yds from the shop. Loaded it up on a trailer and back to the shop. Troubleshooting it looked like the new Quantum 255lph pump quit. Ordered a Walbro 255lph pump from Summit and had them overnight it. Pull the gas tank again and replace the pump. Car is running great but the new power steering pump is screaming, turning the oil into a milkshake. Got another new pump and replaced it. While I was at it I replaced my fan clutch with a new 93 Cobra clutch. Fixed a couple of small oil leaks in the meantime.
Took the car down for a local "Cars and Coffee" show here in Henderson. First time in 3 months. Had a lot of nice comments but most people know nothing about the car. I must have the only 87-88 or 80's anything TBird in Las Vegas.
Got 62 miles on the car now and it runs great. Excellent street manners. Gotta give the guy in front a little room when at a stop light before you launch. Getting used to the Centerforce II clutch, it grabs hard. Letting it idle at the shop for an hour temp went to 190* and then back to 180*. The timing is 14*, fuel pressure is at 40lbs. It's a blast to drive.
Next will be taking it to the dyno.XX

Reply #118
Glad you are enjoying it!

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #119
Great job, love your wheel choice, when I did my 5 lug conversion 15 years ago, I picked up the same Cobra wheels, mine are off a 97 also with the gray painted holes. Center caps are hard to remove without damaging them and finding used spares undamaged is also hard to do. Are your lers MAC brand? They look like mine.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1988 T/C body with a 5.0 transplant. Motor has a Vortech V-2 supercharger, Edlebrock Performer RPM II intake, heads, FRPP F-303 cam, Comp Cams roller rockers, Power Pipe, LMAF, full Mac exhaust, lowered, Koni's, 5 lug conversion, Cobra wheels, 13" Cobra brakes, etc.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing it off. Time for a new chapter in my life.
Dynoed 446 horse/409 torque at the wheels.
2003 Tenth Anniversary Cobra Convertible. 1 of 369 Torch Red made.
2021 Chevrolet 3500 dually, crew cab Duramax.