Skip to main content
Topic: No more Ford smalll sedans (Read 2824 times) previous topic - next topic

No more Ford smalll sedans

Say good bye to Fusion, Focus, C-Max, Taurus and Fiesta.
The only cars will be Mustang and a Focus Active imported from China.

Reply #1
Nobody's buying sedans anymore. Everyone wants crossovers, SUV's, and trucks. The sales of almost all sedans from all manufacturers are in the toilet. Chrysler/Dodge pretty much already did this (300, Charger, Challenger, are the only cars left from those two, plus the 500 if you count Fiat), and Mitsubishi is doing it as well. Sedans have become the new station wagon, the new vehicle nobody wants (ironically, being replaced by jacked up station wagons). Others will follow.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
Would this leave Lincoln anything besides the Navigator?
Lincoln may be going the way of the Mercury.

Reply #3
Lincoln is a disgrace.  I've been in a Mark or Town Car for so many years.  The new stuff is so bland and so Ford with lipstick. . .  They can't even begin to hold a candle to their competition.  It's sad, but I will stick with their old cars that still have a soul.

Reply #4
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;465464
Nobody's buying sedans anymore. Everyone wants crossovers, SUV's, and trucks. The sales of almost all sedans from all manufacturers are in the toilet. Chrysler/Dodge pretty much already did this (300, Charger, Challenger, are the only cars left from those two, plus the 500 if you count Fiat), and Mitsubishi is doing it as well. Sedans have become the new station wagon, the new vehicle nobody wants (ironically, being replaced by jacked up station wagons). Others will follow.

Sedans are becoming like coupes, enthusiasts cars. I prefer sedans because they are quicker/handle better than a comparable CUV. Most of our friends have bought CUVs when they buy a new car. My wife and I were the odd couple out when we bought our 17 Accord V6 two years ago. But we also enjoy driving more than most people, who view driving as a c.

But, big thing here, most people bemoaning the decrease in sales of sedans don't buy new cars. Manufactures have to build what people buy new. If you want sedans to continue to be built buy a new one ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;465464
... and Mitsubishi is doing it as well...

Yes, this can be seen in the fact that they are bringing back the Eclipse nameplate as a CUV...:(
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #6
All the majors are doing is conceding their ever shrinking market share in these arenas to Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc. who actually make them cheaper and their markets demand them so I can see why the shift is happening.  Stock holders are demanding a higher return on their investments so the automakers are responding by shifting over to the higher margin vehicles.

Did any of you see that the Fusion can be ordered in 35,000 possible combinations? WTF, if I was Ford management I would put the kibosh on that shiznit as well.  Remember, when Henry Ford started the company they had one model with one color, black.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #7
maybe there is value in being different out on the road.  I am starting to see people stare longer at that odd ball looking red car with two doors with a cat emblem..  one person in a parking lot said "nice jag man"

Reply #8
The Focus IS a global car. It's also pretty popular in Europe.

The Lincoln LS and MKS are pretty nice too.

That said, I've got a Lexus. It's shiznit hot, for being an 11 year old car. Could easily hand a stock 5.0 Mustang (Fox) it's ass, especially in the corners..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #9
Quote from: jcassity;465494
maybe there is value in being different out on the road.  I am starting to see people stare longer at that odd ball looking red car with two doors with a cat emblem..  one person in a parking lot said "nice jag man"

About 15 yrs ago, When I had my 82 Mustang GT (5.0 badges).  Pulled into a ford dealership, just checking things out.  Salesman walks out and said "nice 5.0.... is it a V8??"  He was dead serious.  LOL, he was about my age or older. I was in my 30's at the time.

Nobody will know our cars in a few more years, and I like it that way.  Mustangs are rarely seen and they are a dime a dozen compared to ours.
Mike

Reply #10
Quote from: mcb82gt;465902
About 15 yrs ago, When I had my 82 Mustang GT (5.0 badges).  Pulled into a ford dealership, just checking things out.  Salesman walks out and said "nice 5.0.... is it a V8??"  He was dead serious.  LOL, he was about my age or older. I was in my 30's at the time.

Nobody will know our cars in a few more years, and I like it that way.  Mustangs are rarely seen and they are a dime a dozen compared to ours.
When I bought my Mustang I originally wanted Grabber Orange. Nobody had any, but one of the dealerships told me they had one coming in with the 2.7. I said, "you mean 3.7?", he said "No, it's a new 4-cyl Turbo". I said "You mean the 2.3 Ecoboost?", He said "No, it's a brand new engine". Didn't buy my 5.0 from him
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #11
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;465917
When I bought my Mustang I originally wanted Grabber Orange. Nobody had any, but one of the dealerships told me they had one coming in with the 2.7. I said, "you mean 3.7?", he said "No, it's a new 4-cyl Turbo". I said "You mean the 2.3 Ecoboost?", He said "No, it's a brand new engine". Didn't buy my 5.0 from him

Trying to figure out the train of thought on that one... I'm thinking he must have gotten it confused with the newer 2.7 Ecoboost in the 15+ F150s
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L