Skip to main content
Topic: Clever cup holder (Read 2757 times) previous topic - next topic

Clever cup holder

I thought this is pretty neat how they got this cup holder into such a small space.
It's in a 2005 Subaru Baja.

Clever cup holder

Reply #2
Looks pretty neat but if it ever breaks well that would be a serious mess on your hands...

Just one more thing to make the Baja a cool car though. I've always kinda wanted one
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Clever cup holder

Reply #3
i gotta get my hands on this ... must fit  into our coug restore project somehow.

Clever cup holder

Reply #4
The 99-02 cougar had a similar cup holder in the console. If you made a right turn, your drink dumped into your lap.
It's Gumby's fault.

Clever cup holder

Reply #5
Reminds me of when the AC drain gets plugged. You make a corner and the driver's floor vent dumps ice water into the top of your shoe!
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Clever cup holder

Reply #6
I need that in my car.

Clever cup holder

Reply #7
Man you guys are obsessed with adding cupholders to these cars. The newest ones are 30 years old. Pre cupholder era. Do what I do: either bring a water bottle with a lid or don't drink in the car. Any drinks with sugar in them are bad for the upholstery and for you ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Clever cup holder

Reply #8
either way its a problem that will be solved by people who want this option, i'm betting most would want it.

Clever cup holder

Reply #9
Quote from: thunderjet302;464863
Man you guys are obsessed with adding cupholders to these cars. The newest ones are 30 years old. Pre cupholder era. Do what I do: either bring a water bottle with a lid or don't drink in the car. Any drinks with sugar in them are bad for the upholstery and for you ;).

I'd much rather have a "Dublin" Dr Pepper (made with sugar, not with corn syrup) over something with aspartame or sucralose. I don't drink monster, or any other energy drink except for very occasionally one of those java coffee things.

I only ever drink water, tea, coffee and one or two Dr Peppers a day.

The cup holder in my explorer has two different sizes. The larger one fits my big insulated mug perfectly. One could probably graft the insert into a Tbird console but if it has floor shift,there wouldn't be enough room.

And I wouldn't give up floor shift for a  cupholder lol
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Clever cup holder

Reply #10
this is my challenge now.

i have a taurus dash mount combo change and drink holder.
in some of our cars, the lowest tier of dash stuff is a cig lighter panel or a cig lighter combo system sentry, and in others there is the pop out ash tray / cig lighter.

i removed my ash tray / cig lighter and found the optional storage cubby could mount in that opening.  it makes it really nice to have a storage bin just forward of the shifter, and seems to make ergonomic sense.
the objective was to free up where the storage cubby "was" typically on the upper tier of the dash.
problem,,,-  the depth of the storage cubby OEM location is retricted by 50% because of hvac duct work just behind it. 

this depth limitation restricts the design options to use that upper space for something else.

Clever cup holder

Reply #12
Quote from: Drewstang;464901
I just need something to hold my beer for me.

+2
Mike

Clever cup holder

Reply #13
I just take my 44oz soda and set it in between the seat and the console.

I've added cup holders. After I deleted all the power options in my 86, I cut up a broken console plate and made a filler out of a 44oz cup. I planned to fasten it permanently but never got around to it.it worked good, but it wasnt worth the trouble.

Now I think I am just gonna make my own center console with some wood, then fiberglass it like I do with my model airplanes then paint it up nice.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Clever cup holder

Reply #14
Quote from: Drewstang;464901
I just need something to hold my beer for me.

Front seat passenger :mullet:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.