Skip to main content
Topic: Cruise control with manual trans (Read 1611 times) previous topic - next topic

Cruise control with manual trans

Been looking at a lot cruise control circuits while trying to help Mr glee with the problem he has. His car has been modified to comply with Euro exterior lights laws.
Turbo coupes with a manual trans have a clutch switch to deactivate the cruise.
I am wondering if guys that convert to a manual trans put this in.
What happens when you down shift if the cruise stays active? Does the engine rev-up?

Reply #1
I would think it might rev up. After all the cruise servo is holding the throttle open.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
My grandma's mercury tracer had a manual trans and cruise control. It would kick off cruise if you hit the clutch.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
I did the 5 speed swap and have cruise. I see no reason to be shifting if the cruise is set. If I need it off, I just tap the button on the steering wheel, or tap the brake....no big deal.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
Allmost all Euro - converted US cars I have seen here in Europe have crippled cruise control. Servicemen usually cut brake wire next to the brake pedal and don't take care about cruise control. The result is cruise control, which can't be turned of by pressing brake pedal, but can be turned off by clutch pedal.