Skip to main content
Topic: 1983 v8 thunderbird cpi to mustang injection conversion (Read 1325 times) previous topic - next topic

1983 v8 thunderbird cpi to mustang injection conversion

Hey guys..first post here. I just bought a 1983 v8 thunderbird to do a 5 speed conversion on. Also I thought it would be some what simple to do the 5.0 foxbody injection conversion on since its already EFI.
 I did read the sticky conversion.. But it was for 86 and up. Any pointers from anyone that has done this?

EDIT: I just realised I put this in the wrong section..

Re: 1983 v8 thunderbird cpi to mustang injection conversion

Reply #2
Yes..thats the section I read.   But it says for 86 and up..
I may need to source an 86 v8 t-bird parts car. The 83 I just bought is a one owner, red interior, red everything matter of fact. Power windows, Rust free and only 90000 miles on it. Needs some things..but I bought it to put my blown 331 5 speed I was building for my little ranger truck
You know what, I just realised this is a different forum than that..lol

Reply #3
Well after more reading ..I think I need.to be finding an 86 v8 bird parts car for the harness , fuel tank, and odds and ends.. just a little more work than the 86 and up.cars. no biggie

Reply #4
If you are doing a swap like this, the best car would be a 86 up Mustang. that way you will have all the parts you need from tank to engine. I know it is not the same but my wife has a 1981 Mustang 6 cyl auto car and I bought a 1987 GT 5.0L 5 speed car and did the whole swap with the parts from the GT into her 81. The other thing I am kicking my ass on is I did a 351W swap on my 5.0L Sport Thunderbird and did a Fitech EFI unit instead of the stock set up for tune-ability. Now I see that Holley has come out with the Terminator X system which is plug and play standalone EFI brain and harness that works with all the 5.0L Mustang stuff and you can tune it!

Good luck with the swap. It will be fun and frustrating at the same time but worth it.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #5
Good suggestion on the donar car but the Mustang fuel tanks do not fit out cars nor does the EEC harness.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp