Skip to main content
Topic: Rubberythingy by my diff... (Read 2030 times) previous topic - next topic

Rubberythingy by my diff...

I will try to get a pic, but on my cougar(1986) there is a big rubbery thing twoards the front of my diff. When I accelerate, the back end picks up, not the front. Does this have something to do with it? Because, I have another 1986 with the same engine, and it dosent do it. It also dosent have the rubbery thing. I also decided that I have diffrent springs too. my other ones are alot softer.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Re: Rubberythingy by my diff...

Reply #1
Rubbery? Or a big cast-iron dog bone mounted with rubber and big bolts? That would be a vibration damper to smooth out the rear end. Our Cats & Birds are luxury cars, you know.

Or perhaps you mean a "pinion snubber"? Looks like a rubber cone, presses against a pad under the rear floor when the suspension is near bottoming out. Helps keep the rear end from twisting.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #2
Quote from: Haystack
When I accelerate, the back end picks up, not the front.

Are you talking about the axle housing "rotating" when you accelerate? When you accelerate the front part of the differential is supposed to come up. The rubber snubber is there to stop the diff from rotating too far. The differential will try to rotate in the opposite direction than the wheels.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
The back end is supposed to pick up on acceleration.  It's called anti-squat, & it helps plant the back tires.

Reply #4
No, No, No.  Those rubberythingys are your tires... :tg: