Skip to main content
Topic: sn95 rear end (Read 2058 times) previous topic - next topic

sn95 rear end

Has anyone here done this swap?  It seems like something that is both very practical and very doable.  These came with disc brakes and 3.27 gears (on the GT model, anyone know if the rear is limited slip?).  Any comments on the application, and how much fabrication work I would need to do?  Also, what speedo gear would I need (my bird currently has the 2.73 gears)?

Re: sn95 rear end

Reply #1
Check out this site: http://www.mouthbreather.net/IRSSWAP.HTML
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #2
There were 2 different width SN95 rear ends. The 1994-98 style were identical in width to our cars. The 1999-2004 are wider, approximately the same width as a Mark VII rear end. Either style bolts right up to our cars without any fabbing. Keep in mind that rear discs were the norm on SN95's so that complicates things if you want to keep drum brakes. All V8 SN95 8.8" rears (both styles) had Traction-Lok. I don't think it was an option on V6 cars, which had 7.5" rears. You can figure out speedo gears on various web sites...I'm sure someone can provide a link.

Reply #3
SSX:  Thanks for the link on the IRS setup, but that seems both more complicated and expensive than I'd like to go.

Eric:  I appreciate the info.  I'm glad to see that this would give me trac-loc  :banana: I'm thinking of going with MM lower control arms, 01 Bullitt Springs and struts.  Should I use my stock upper control arms, or try to find some others? 

Also, what exact brake mods will I need?  I know I'll need the TC ebrake cables.  ( Can I somehow find and use a handbrake setup?)  What about the running of hoses etc.?

PS:  The new site is sooo much exponentially better than the old!  Thanks a ton!

Reply #4
as for your uppers, you could use some aftermarket ones for GM A-bodies

the GT rears have a Traction Lock unit in it, and for the speedo gear, use one out of an 87 3.8L car, they have 3.27's from the factory
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #5
Whoops, I saw SN95 and only thought of IRS.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]