Skip to main content
Topic: Rear End Setup For Road Racing ?? (Read 3343 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear End Setup For Road Racing ??

Well, I got a question for those whome road race.  I am looking to setup  my 88 TC rear diff for the purpose of going road racing and I was told by a freind and a reliable source that a Detroit Locker is the route I should go.  I was also told that the trac lock is not any good for road racing purposes, that when drifting you get only one side to transfer the power to.

I hear that Ford Racing makes a locker setup for the 8.8 and I am wondering if this is the route I should go.  I am looking at around 300 hp and I want a reliable rear end, will the 8.8 cut it? 

Should I just bite the bullit and look for a 9 inch, which I would rather not do for $ purposes, or is a 8.8 locker gonna cut it?

Any input would be appreciated, this will be a winter project and I am just stuck as to what direction to go with it.

http://members.cardomain.com/88tcrezurect

Re: Rear End Setup For Road Racing ??

Reply #1
The 8.8 is plenty strong for such abuse. I run an Auburn "Pro Series" diff in mine....lots of track abuse on it....no complaints.

Detroit Lockers are 9" only units. However FRPP does offer a Trac-Tech C-locker for the 8.8. Never tried one so I can't comment on how it will work on the track.

Reply #2
Thanks for the input The Hawk.  I was told about a locker for the 8.8, which must have been that track tech c locker you spoke of.  If your Auburn differencial holds up to the 500 horse power you got, than it would definitely hold up for my planned setup. 

What gearing do you run with your diff by the way.  I am thinking 3.73's is the route I am gonna go.  I plan on building my TC to mostly road race, 306-T5, but to be able to be driven a couple hours to the tracks and back. 

My guess would be that a locker would make taking slow tight turns through traffic rough.  I rode in a 70 mach one with a Detriot Locker and when it came time to make these kind of putsy traffic manuevers, it would hobble and the turning radius stunk.  It behaved like a spool, I wasn't sure as to how well his Locker was set up on that Mach One though.

Reply #3
What about the PowerTrax locker?

http://www.powertrax.com/

Talking about the model on the left of that page.

I've heard quite a bit about it, and *most* of it good.. but not many actual accounts from users on the street.

Reply #4
I have the Powertrax Locker in my car.  It is made by Richmond gears.  General everyday driveing is fine.  Prepare for HARD launches at WOT.  Also has a tendency to want to straighten out when you punch the gas around a turn.  All in all it is a good sturdy peice.  I've ridden in other vehcles with an auburn locker and I must say that the Powertrax is more street friendly
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #5
Thens theres always a torsen rear end.

Reply #6
Quote from: 88TCRezurect
Thanks for the input The Hawk.  I was told about a locker for the 8.8, which must have been that track tech c locker you spoke of.  If your Auburn differencial holds up to the 500 horse power you got, than it would definitely hold up for my planned setup. 

What gearing do you run with your diff by the way.  I am thinking 3.73's is the route I am gonna go.  I plan on building my TC to mostly road race, 306-T5, but to be able to be driven a couple hours to the tracks and back. 

I run the stock 3.55 gear which works great for the two tracks I go to. Be careful on you gear choice...3.73 might be too much. A lot of the turns on the tracks I go to are 3rd gear turns and the car as is now is geared perfectly for them....3.73's would have me buzzing the motor and shifting to 4th the car wouldn't be in the sweet spot power range wise.

Reply #7
Well guys, appreciated the input, but decided against road racing my TC.  Got this baby instead to start modding on for road racing duties, its already got a 12 point cage installed. 

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/555000-555999/555080_70_full.jpg

This cage is awesome, chrome moly, window net, a bitch to crawl in and out of.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/555000-555999/555080_73_full.jpg

I also located a Ford 9 inch housing with 35 spline axles and disc brakes for $700, I am in the process of trading Weld rims and cash for.  I am thinking of a Detroit Locker for this rear end.  I am not sure if they make a Locker for 35 spline axles, have to talk to my rear end guy.

Reply #8
I'd say that'll hold up to about anything you can throw in front of it