Skip to main content
Topic: new exhaust (Read 1171 times) previous topic - next topic

new exhaust

ok so i just got off the phone whit this shop and told him id like a new custom double exhaust (i got a 3.8 single exhaust) and ask him what kind of tubes he uses  and he said stainless steel  i dont know too mush about materials but do you guys think its ok?  ive read in coolcats aluminized tubes are the way to go    also he said it would be an around 500 bucks job  how much this job usually retails for? including good lers and mustang long chromed tips.

thanks for help guys

ps. i also intend to install 94 mustang 3.8 manifolds  on my own any of you have done it and know what i might run into as difficulties

new exhaust

Reply #1
Don't have exhaust work done until you install headers.The headers will be different from the stock manifolds.$500.00 seems really high to me.It may be location as well.Around here,a really good dual set-up,with new Thrush lers (same design as Flowmasters),crossover pipe,and tips run about $300.00 or so,depending on which tips you want.Some are cheap,some are wicked high.I'd shop around.Stailnless really isn't necessary.Aluminized is fine.....and cheaper.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

new exhaust

Reply #2
thanks vinnie  i just hope it wont cost too much if you have read the article  bout double exhaust 3.8 s in cool cats youll see theres a bunch on obstacles and things to watch out    i just want a good shop to do a good job

new exhaust

Reply #3
when i installe the headers can i just disconnect the whole  exhaust and drive to the shop?

new exhaust

Reply #4
Well,I suppose you could drive it that way,but it would be really loud,and I wouldn't really recommend it.Can you trailer it?I had a V-6 car for a while.They just cut off all of the exhaust and started fresh.It was $175.00 12 years ago.Make sure your O2 sensors have a place to hook up.I'm unfamiliar with the headers for a V-6.Anything can be done if you want it bad enough.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

new exhaust

Reply #5
The devil is in the details, but $500 for stainless sounds like a nice price.  What size pipe? Includes lers? Cat(s)?  Mandrel bends?

Tell the guy what your plans are so he can do it right.

Also, Vinnie, remember he's probably talking Loonies, so depending on the exchange rate, it could be better price than it sounds.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

new exhaust

Reply #6
Quote from: t3skidoo;260829
The devil is in the details, but $500 for stainless sounds like a nice price.  What size pipe? Includes lers? Cat(s)?  Mandrel bends?

Tell the guy what your plans are so he can do it right.

Also, Vinnie, remember he's probably talking Loonies, so depending on the exchange rate, it could be better price than it sounds.

Thats what I was thinking too.Just for an aluminumized steel set up for a 302 your looking to spend at the cheapest, using stock header, $100 mid pipe, $40 for some cheapo lers, then flowtubes and tails which I guess you could do for $50, crush bent.

Thats before labor.

For full stainless all the way back that is a good price IMO. IF, IF it is mandrel bent, installed, and full system.

For the O2 sensors, if yours are good just get some extenders if needed. Makes life so much easier.

Not sure what your plans are but I would think 2.25" would work good for a 3.8. I wouldnt waste the money on a converter if you dont legally have to have one.
1986 Cougar LS

new exhaust

Reply #7
Sorry,I didn't even notice this is in Canada.Other than price,I stick to what I said.LOL.I have no idea costs up there.

new exhaust

Reply #8
Besides just wanting dual exhaust is there more to this?
What kind of build are you thinking about?
Like said what do you get for 500?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

new exhaust

Reply #9
From the 86 EVTM: The Canadian 3.8L has a carburetor. So no O2 sensors.

new exhaust

Reply #10
Quote from: softtouch;260916
From the 86 EVTM: The Canadian 3.8L has a carburetor. So no O2 sensors.

Well that makes it a little easier.
1986 Cougar LS

new exhaust

Reply #11
actually i have the injection version dual point

new exhaust

Reply #12
i want the full package  all included so idk bout 500 maybe he just said that price and he doesnt know what he up to

new exhaust

Reply #13
Down here its over $200 for a cat back single exhaust and around $300 for duels. and that is in us dollars. For the full exhaust I would guess $400 or more would still be fair.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

new exhaust

Reply #14
i bought all the pieces for my exhaust which cost about $400-$600 which came with two cats,two cutouts with electric motors, flowtubes, long-tube headers, two warlock lers and that all 2 1/2 inch pipe. which was way cheaper than the exhaust shop quoted me $700-$800 for a fake duals.
84 el camino ss-daily driver(efi mild sbc,2004r, posi 3:42 rear.)
84 mercury cougar v6- was a v6/ nitrous drag car, going back to mostly stock
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)