Skip to main content
Topic: electronic cluster question (Read 859 times) previous topic - next topic

electronic cluster question

Hi guys  i have a 86 T-Bird with a fully electronic instruments cluster and i was wondering is there a way to keep it when swapping the 3.8 to a  carburated 302 0r 351 engine or it will have to go since there will be no computer

Reply #1
Just use the senders for the digital dash as the dash is seprate from the computer. However if you go carb you will loose the trip computer functions as it relies on input from the computer.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
was my cluster made only to go with the 3.8 and 5.0 efi or i could swap a  muscled 5.0 HO and it would still work  what are the capacities of the computer? thanx you all

Reply #3
I see you're Canadian. Chances are your '86 V6 is carbureted (most Canadian ones were). If that's the case there is no computer in your car.

The base digital cluster (no tach) will work with any engine, you'll just need the senders for it (water, oil, fuel, and speed). On the base cluster all of these are standard (normal) senders except the speed sender, which is unique. If you change transmissions you'll have to use the speed sender off your current one.

If you've got the "full" digital cluster (has a tach and a fuel consumption computer) it is engine specific to a point. I believe you can make some changes to make the tach work with different number of cylinders, but the fuel computer won't work with a carbureted engine.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
i have the full electronic cluster with all the fuel info avg speed...
but if i try with a more than stock fuel injected 5.0 ho is ther a chance of the fuel consumption computer working properly? i mean i saw a 87 t bird with the full electronic cluster on this website http://www.mass-air.com/87%20Tbird.htm  and if you read the description it says (Full digital dash and digital message center fitted in original dashboard ) and if you look at the engine it seems to be far more than stock

Reply #5
The full electronic cluster gets its fuel data from the engine computer (which is an entirely separate component, mounted down by the passenger footwell). If you install a larger engine that uses more fuel the fuel usage computer in your dash can still work as long as you use a stock Ford computer (for example, if you install a 5.0 HO and use the stock mass air computer along with it). Certain upgrades may cause it to be inaccurate, such as installing larger injectors and a MAF calibrated to those injectors. The engine computer calculates the fuel usage data by crunching the numbers based on injector pulse width, so doing mods that increase fule use but don't alter the injector pulse width will result in the display being inaccurate. With larger injectors the pusle width remains the same, but the amount of fuel being injected each pulse increases. The computer does not know this so it won't send that increase along to the dash display.

If you go with a carburetor the fuel usage computer will not work at all. It can be made to work by finding a fuel flow rate meter (mounts on the fuel line and actually measures the fuel going through it) from a carbureted 1980 Lincoln Town Car with the optional fuel computer, but you'll likely search for years before ever finding one (if you ever do at all).
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣