Skip to main content
Topic: Chrome on Side moldings (Read 8915 times) previous topic - next topic

Chrome on Side moldings

I have done a search on this and it looks like some of you guys (I think maybe Eric did this) have covered the fake chrome strip that runs in the body side molding with say a 3M brand 1/2" chrome striping.  I assume you can find this stuff at say Autozone or Advance Auto.  Does this work and fit well?  Does it look OK? 

Is there anyone that could post up some pics so I can see what this looks like?  Since I got the car painted it really makes that crusty old chrome trim stand out more and look HORRIBLE.  Its kind of like a supermodel with bad teeth...:punchballs:

Thanks for the help guys.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Chrome on Side moldings

Reply #1
Try it and let me know. I still need to do it to my car as well :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Chrome on Side moldings

Reply #2
Try it and let me know. I still need to do it to my car as well

Yeah sure let me be the Guinea pig!  lol.  Yeah I hope someone lets me know what worked well for them...i'd hate to have to hit and miss it until I find the right kind.  That could get expensive.  lol.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

chrome body side moldings

Reply #3
i want to try it too. where can you get the 1/2 chrome tape? let me know the results.

Chrome on Side moldings

Reply #4
Well, I dont want to try it but I need to. Anybody know where to get the chrome tape?

Chrome on Side moldings

Reply #5
Quote from: 50tbrd88;262415
Yeah sure let me be the Guinea pig!  lol. 

Sure why not ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Chrome on Side moldings

Reply #6
I've seen the chrome tape at the local auto paint shop, but I imagine it's also available at AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc.

Chrome on Side moldings

Reply #7
you can get that chrome/aluminum tape in the home improvement section of wally world.  like the place where paints and lights bulbs and lamps and stuff are.  i dont think it'll turn out well to be honest.  from my memory its like 2 inches wide, and when you pull a piece of tape off it comes off all wrinkled from the roll..  not to say you couldnt try it though.  you'd have to split it in half which is ganna be a pita.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Chrome on Side moldings

Reply #8
You can have it made ,any car or truck lettering place can make it. It's actually vinyl tape.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Chrome on Side moldings

Reply #9
Yeah I'd rather not do chrome I thought about finding a metallic silver instead.  All I know is that it looks like shiznit right now...

I'm gonna just experiment for the greater good of the forum and see what works.

Chrome on Side moldings

Reply #10
I did it many years ago, but I wasn't satisfied with the result. This may sound odd but I thought it looked too shiny compared to the original.
I ended up buying all new moldings instead. It wasn't cheap and some of you may think I am nuts for spending what I did to get them but what can I say; I'm pretty buttstuff that way about my car.
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Chrome on Side moldings

Reply #11
P71 had a nice write up and pictures of how to install the chrome tape, But it went away when he took his site down. :(
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Chrome on Side moldings

Reply #12
Nothing ever goes away on the Internet. ;)

Thread here: http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=13506
Aerobird's tape page archive: http://web.archive.org/web/20070523194043/www.aerobirdmotorsports.com/Appearance.html
Aerobird's entire site: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://aerobirdmotorsports.com

P.S. I'm with Brent...NOS is the way to go. But we're about the only two people that we know about that are nuts enough to pay what we did.

chrome body side moldings

Reply #13
Quote from: BCA;262701
I did it many years ago, but I wasn't satisfied with the result. This may sound odd but I thought it looked too shiny compared to the original.
I ended up buying all new moldings instead. It wasn't cheap and some of you may think I am nuts for spending what I did to get them but what can I say; I'm pretty buttstuff that way about my car.

where did you get your wide xr-7 side moldings-any info,leads.any old stock around?

Chrome on Side moldings

Reply #14
Quote from: salrock54;262727
where did you get your wide xr-7 side moldings-any info,leads.any old stock around?

All of mine were purchased new at the dealer back around 1990 when ther were still available.
I have purchased some extra NOS pieces in the last few years as I come across them to have as spares.
They show up for sale on eBay and on the forum from time to time.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=18874

It just depends on your outlook for the car. Right now my moldings are in great shape, but since I never have any plans to sell it, and I know from experience that they can deteriorate from UV exposure I will most likely have a need for replacements sometime in the future.
Sometimes you have to jump at the chance when stuff like this shows up no matter if you need it at the time or not or you will most likely miss the opportunity to have it when you really need it.
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built