Skip to main content
Topic: Body flex (Read 2723 times) previous topic - next topic

Body flex

it was drizzling a few days ago, and i was coming home from work, at a quick clip since i was on a straight section, and got on the brakes pretty hard for a turn, and my sunroof dripped on me, so later that day, i was doing about 85 on the highway with no one around, and i test it again, i got on the brakes, and the sunroof started allowing air in

ive come to realize, the body flex on these cars is pretty nasty
It's Gumby's fault.

Re: Body flex

Reply #1
Well you also got a hole in your roof =)
Theres aways sub-frame connecters (which I want to get for my own coug) and a farther extent a roll cage to fix that

Reply #2
i plan on making my own subframe connectors, seeing as im learning to weld and im pretty  good with a cutting torch, and i have access to a lot of kickass supplies at work
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #3
You will be "very" happy when you install subframe connectors. You cannot beleive the difference those make in these cars!!! One of the best upgrades. I had a set of Mustang ones on my 87 XR7, and it was atotally different car afterwards. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #4
even in a slide, i can feel the car flexing, even if it doesnt make the car handle better, i could see it making the car more consistant

which connectors did you have?
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #5
It's been so long, I don't remember the company. I know they were for 79-93 Mustang, they had the seat braces but I trimmed those off. Other than that they lined up great on my Cougar. I talk with my son and see if he remembers. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #6
Hey Shawn here are the connectors that I have....

Subframe Connectors, Crossbar style for 1979-2000 Mustang, zinc finishSubframe Connectors, Crossbar style for 1979-2000 Mustang, zinc finish

HPM Crossbar Subfame Connectors are one of the first components to add to improve the structural integrity and longevity of your vehicle. These connectors are constructed of 1-1/4" x 2" 14 gauge tubing for high torsional strength without sacrificing ground clearance. installation is accomplished by bolting the crossbars to the chassis and welding the ends to the vehicles' subframes. HPM does not build, sell, install, or recommend bolt-in designs for any application. For a stronger and easier installation these connectors are contoured to match the floorpan and subframes. A vast improvement will be noticed in the 'tightness' of the car over uneven surfaces and during extreme maneuvers

HPM5400AZ
95 Ranger Splash 2.3

Reply #7
Hey Shawn-
Yes..the Fox bodies are a rigid as wet noodles.
It's pretty easy to to SFCs and weld-in is the way to go.  If you wind up going the make you own route and are working w/ 2" wide material for main tubes, I have some preformed crossbars (for support under the seats) made up from when I was selling mine.  I can sell the crossbars (and the seat hardware) pretty cheap.  Holler at me if you go that route.

You'd also me suprised how much improvement things like a STB and a lower chassis brace make on the feel of the front of the car as well.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #8
i might get to ya in a couple of weeks, i may be able to get some tubing from work, if not, its still relatively cheap, and my buddy would let me use his welder, i just need to learn to weld well
It's Gumby's fault.