Skip to main content
Topic: Build approval someone please! (Read 8803 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Build approval someone please!

Reply #45
Yeah I knew about the spark plug issue when I was researching for my build, I’m keeping my build “budget friendly” so there will be some trade offs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 Thunderbird Sport 302 H-pipe,flowmaster 50 series delta flow e303 cam GT40 upper and lower intake, GT40P heads, trick flow springs and rocker arms.

Reply #46
When my car had GT40P heads I had no problem getting to any of the plugs using a spark plug socket and a box end wrench on the end of the socket instead of a ratchet. I ran Ford Racing GT40P headers with the GT40P heads. I actually still use them with the Edelbrock heads. They are stainless steel so I saw no need for new headers when I changed heads.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #47
About to order H pipe with catalytic converters, In Pa we have emission inspections, I’m wondering if anyone had issues with exhaust codes running converters with h pipe and GT40p heads.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 Thunderbird Sport 302 H-pipe,flowmaster 50 series delta flow e303 cam GT40 upper and lower intake, GT40P heads, trick flow springs and rocker arms.

Reply #48
When I last had emissions 5+ years ago, the gt40p heads ran perfectly clean. All the results were very low. This was without smog air pump, using a (new) bbk mid pipe with cats. Just run base timing (10 degrees) and you should pass without issues, as long as you aren't sucking excessive oil into the intake (blowby, pcv valve), your ignition is good, and the motor is warmed up (getting good hot air out of the dash).
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #49
When my car had GT40P heads I had no problem getting to any of the plugs using a spark plug socket and a box end wrench on the end of the socket instead of a ratchet. I ran Ford Racing GT40P headers with the GT40P heads.

I'm sure you had no problems, you were lucky enough to get the Special Headers.  I cant find those ford pieces anymore.

I wont use the py MAC P headers, for their crazy price.
Mike

Reply #50
When my car had GT40P heads I had no problem getting to any of the plugs using a spark plug socket and a box end wrench on the end of the socket instead of a ratchet. I ran Ford Racing GT40P headers with the GT40P heads.

I'm sure you had no problems, you were lucky enough to get the Special Headers.  I cant find those ford pieces anymore.

You want to talk about a crazy price how about $400 for a 89 mustang  A9p ecm.  I think I’m going to go with a unit from autozone ( warranty, free shipping no questions ask returns) a little over $200  plus a think I got a 20% code somewhere.

Reply #51

You want to talk about a crazy price how about $400 for a 89 mustang  A9p ecm.  I think I’m going to go with a unit from autozone ( warranty, free shipping no questions ask returns) a little over $200  plus a think I got a 20% code somewhere.

Yeah, the used eec-iv prices are terrible. A Megasquirt plug-and-play unit is only $800-850 for what is likely a far better computer.  Beats $400 for ecu, $250 for programmer board, $200 for programming software, etc.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #52
Auto zone by you has some?! Buy them up! No parts store around here has any and can't ever get me any. It will probably be A1 Cardone, which when I'm working on a customers car I always tell the service writer if they're getting cardone better get me three because the first two will be junk. However, when my car was speed density and I HO swapped I bought a DA1 cardone from oreilly that worked great.

Reply #53
Updated list of EEC's:

Manual Transmission:
A9L 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N E9ZF-12A650-AA & A2A
A3M 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N
A3M1 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N F3ZF-12A650-DA & DB
S0Z 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N
D3D 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N
D3D1 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N
A9S 5.0 88-93 CA Mustang - P/N
ALD 5.0 88-93 CA Mustang - P/N
X3Z 5.0 93 Cobra Mustang - P/N F3ZF-12A650-CA (Requires Cobra MAF and 24 lb/hr injectors)

Automatic Transmission:
A9M 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N
A9P 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N E9ZF-12A650-CA & C2A
C3W 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N
C3W1 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N F3ZF-12A650-FA & FB
A9T 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N
ALF 5.0 88-93 CA Mustang - P/N
ALG 5.0 88-93 CA Mustang - P/N

So I do not have the part numbers for the majority of the EEC's but I have never had to use anything but the ones listed to find what I needed.  I would stay away from the California EEC's unless you have a California car as the rumor is they are less aggressive in tuning due to the stricter emission requirements.  Also, the three or four digits in large letters on the EEC's label are referred to as "catch codes".

Maybe this will help your search.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #54
Updated list of EEC's:

Manual Transmission:
A9L 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N E9ZF-12A650-AA & A2A
A3M 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N
A3M1 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N F3ZF-12A650-DA & DB
S0Z 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N
D3D 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N
D3D1 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N
A9S 5.0 88-93 CA Mustang - P/N
ALD 5.0 88-93 CA Mustang - P/N
X3Z 5.0 93 Cobra Mustang - P/N F3ZF-12A650-CA (Requires Cobra MAF and 24 lb/hr injectors)

Automatic Transmission:
A9M 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N
A9P 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N E9ZF-12A650-CA & C2A
C3W 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N
C3W1 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N F3ZF-12A650-FA & FB
A9T 5.0 89-93 Mustang - P/N
ALF 5.0 88-93 CA Mustang - P/N
ALG 5.0 88-93 CA Mustang - P/N

So I do not have the part numbers for the majority of the EEC's but I have never had to use anything but the ones listed to find what I needed.  I would stay away from the California EEC's unless you have a California car as the rumor is they are less aggressive in tuning due to the stricter emission requirements.  Also, the three or four digits in large letters on the EEC's label are referred to as "catch codes".

Maybe this will help your search.
This list is like I struck gold!  Thanks Aerocoupe
Going to replace all the  engine bolts any recommendations for complete bolt kits. Or is it better to buy individually?

Reply #55
For the internals (main, rod, head, & rocker arm) would only use ARP.  Stud the mains and the heads.  People tell me that they do not want to stud the heads as it does not allow for removal in the car.  All you have to do is use two regular (grade 5) nuts for jam nuts and then remove each stud like a bolt.  I also used ARP on the timing gear to cam and the cam plate to block.

One externals I used ARP kits for the timing chain cover & water pump and on the oil pan as well as an ARP bolt on the harmonic balancer to crank.  For the lower intake on my Coupe (injected) and intake manifold on the Bird (carbed) I used the same coarse threaded by fine threaded studs that I found at O'Riellys.  For the bolting on the upper intake I used studs that I ordered from McMaster/Carr.  I also have stainless steel all-thread studs that you install with an allen key for the valve covers.  All of the accessory brackets on the front of the motor are the stock Ford fasteners.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #56
Back in the day (2008) I was looking for an A9P. A local mechanic my parents used to use had a whole shelf of computers from 80's and 90's cars he sped. He kept them in case he needed one. So I asked if I could go looking through the stack for a 5.0 Mustang computer. He said sure. I found an A9P in the stack and asked how much he wanted for it. He told me I could have it for nothing, he didn't need it. So I got the A9P, that's still in my Thunderbird, for free.

If I had know these things would be like gold 10 years later I would have tried to find more.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #57
Back in the day (2008) I was looking for an A9P. A local mechanic my parents used to use had a whole shelf of computers from 80's and 90's cars he sped. He kept them in case he needed one. So I asked if I could go looking through the stack for a 5.0 Mustang computer. He said sure. I found an A9P in the stack and asked how much he wanted for it. He told me I could have it for nothing, he didn't need it. So I got the A9P, that's still in my Thunderbird, for free.

If I had know these things would be like gold 10 years later I would have tried to find more.

I have a factory A9P all original in my car also and a functional (I've tried it) Cardone unit as a backup. Glad I got the backup about 10 yrs ago, seems they are getting hard to find resulting in prices going up.
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor
AOD w/ Transgo Reprogrammer
Full Digital Dash w/ twin Cyberdyne A-pillar gauges 
245/50/16 Tires on Snowflakes
Engine swap - CA smog compliant

Reply #58
I give up on finding this computer, I’m just going to buy it from autozone. I’ve been working on cleaning up my new parts. Wire wheel has been working great so far.

Reply #59
Cleaning the carbon off pistons. I’m using PB Blaster( I ran out of WD-40) with  fine steel wool.