Skip to main content
Topic: Starting fresh (Read 22657 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Starting fresh

Reply #195
A couple pictures out in the daylight. With the trunklid and spoiler on too. She got an attitude adjustment.

Reply #196
I did a thing yesterday and ordered all the stuff to upgrade the ignition stuff that I've personally had for 10+ years and it was all old when I got it. The tastic mallory unilite distributor is going the wayside for a msd pro billet, the 6a box is getting swapped out for a digital 6al, the cheapo canister coil is getting replaced with a blaster coil, the Taylor wires are old and due for a replacement as well. Since I've been driving it more and more lately I've noticed it runs great up until a certain point then seems to fall out like its losing spark at certain rpms. Most if not all the ignition equipment on this car is seemingly past its expiration date. I think the 6a box is from the early 2000's and the unilite is from the same vintage. Only reason I had it on the car in the first place is cause I had it and it worked.

Plus I needed to have all my ducks in a row for the NX Gemini plate I just ordered :headbang:

Reply #197
Well here it is!

Reply #198
That was quick!  And I am sure it'll help make the car quick too.
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #199
And apparently after installing the new msd box and 3 stage retard and msd distributor the fitech decided it was going to die. I installed the new parts pretty straight forward had a noisy tach signal. Ok isolate the tach signal wire away from all the goodies. Starts and runs for about 30 seconds handheld loses power and froze. Threw all 8 injector codes, wide band code, fuel pump relay code, even kept running the fuel pump after the key was off. Isolated the key on power and routed it straight to the battery for testing purposes. Nothing. Start fire run about 30 seconds and die. That was Friday. Spent all day Saturday re wiring things and testing stuff same outcome. Swapped the 6a box back in, same deal.

I'm going to call fitech Monday and see about sending it in and getting it checked and refurbished.

It's been great up until this point, it's had its ups and downs. But its been having some issues on and off the whole time as well. Maybe this will fix it, maybe it won't.

I have a back up plan if it doesnt. We shall see.

Reply #200
Hopefully Fitech will have you back running soon.
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #201
Hopefully. It's 1 year warranty is up Friday. If they dont do anything its getting sniped.

Reply #202
Just to clear the air and so y'all know. I can be insanely impulsive. I had been trying to contact Fitech for about a week and couldn't get ahold of anybody until last Friday for a warranty claim they said that they would get back to me with the information to ship it back. Fuming about all this I ordered a sniper 650 kit and dual sync distributor and necessary bits to make that system all that it could be. As of today the car runs and drives again. Sniper system is very user friendly and TONS of info online.

Guess what? Still no response from fitech.

Took it to the local cars and coffee this morning. And no issues

Reply #203
I would not call that impulsive.  Thank you for sharing your story cause I now know to avoid FiTech.

Good to see the car is back up and running.

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #204
I'm glad it's back up and going. I told another guy that I wasn't missing out on enjoying my car this summer due to  customer service and if I was more patient it would be sitting still.

It's a blast to drive now that its sitting a little higher off the ground as well. Those 18x10s were kissing the front fenders going over some rather minor bumps like transitions from roads to bridges and ECT. Nothing very huge but just enough of a bump to make it compress just a bit more. Now I don't wince as bad going over bumps in the road.

The Hurst shifter is a ton better than the b&m on a comfort standpoint. I'm a fairly big guy. 6' 245 and the b&m I had to really reach for the Hurst is right there easy to reach.

Reply #205
Sucks you had to completely swap systems. Hopefully they make it right.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #206
It does suck, and still no response from Fitech. I drove the old girl to work a couple days ago no issues. Drives great and starts every time Holley Sniper for the win. I ordered some new tires today and Ill schedule an alignment after they are installed.

Then its time to put some miles on this thing.

Reply #207
Got the new tires mounted a couple days ago and scheduled an alignment for Friday. This time I'm not going to drop the car off I'm going to wait on it so they don't try and pull the same tricks they did last time. The last time I had the car aligned they didn't know I had caster camber plates so they put smaller bolts in the upper spindle bolt holes to get more camber out of it. Well they called me to let me know that it was the best they could get it and I told them it had caster camber plates on it. They did it again got it all in spec and all was good in the world. Until I kept hearing the tire rub the coilover. Upon further investigation they had not put the correct bolts back in luckily I had some more of the correct ones laying around. No harm no foul. I dickered with it some more and assumed they put it back to a factory tbird alignment spec. I'm going to have them set it up at maximum motorsports recommended settings 4* of caster and -2* of camber and see how it handles now.

Aside from that I took the car out almost all day cruising. Cars and coffee this morning, ran some errands with it and took it out to dinner with some friends. It was an amazing day. And I'm definitely liking the new tires. They're super sticky for street tires and they ride smooth and quiet and handle great albeit the alignment is wonky bit does great

Reply #208
No real updates to speak of other than these tires are awesome for what they are. The Nitto 555's that were on it were old and hard as a rock and didn't hook for sht.

Ive just been putting miles on the old girl. The Sniper unit is doing well and probably has about 400 miles on it now. Only thing I haven't done with it really is get on the highway and run it at a consistent 65-70 mph for a length of time. It does better then I do in stop and go traffic doesn't get above 200* on a 90* day. I'm very pleased with how she's doing.

I still need to get the solenoid driver for the sniper to control nitrous, but that's pretty low on the list at the moment seeing as she probably wont get much track time this year if any.

Reply #209
Isn't it the best to be able to just jump in the car and go? I'm envious of that at the moment.
It's Gumby's fault.