Skip to main content
Topic: 306 swap in work (Read 10093 times) previous topic - next topic

306 swap in work

Engine bay empty and the 3.8 stroker plans have gone down hill.

I am going to put in my 306 and i think i have all my parts gathered up. 

I can post up engine specs or just read the first entry on "3.8 stroker in process"

Question
Any advice on motor mounts for an E0 engine block casting number????.  The mounts i have now on the block have the bolt at a 45deg where it would pass thru an oval hole in the frame like you see onlate 80's or early 90's bronco's.

306 swap in work

Reply #1
hmm, Why not just buy all new motor mounts? or get a new k- member so that you can throw in mustang mounts.

What are the specs for the engine.

I would much rather see a 4.2 all played out, but oh well.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

306 swap in work

Reply #2
you can use the factory mounts if im not mistaken they will bolt to the block, and transmission has the same bolt pattern.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

306 swap in work

Reply #3
I not really savy on all the body parts and interchangeable parts like some are.  All my coug chassis parts are oem except for the basics and the rack.

as far as the specs,, its pretty special,,,,ill copy past the specs i guess.,

basically im gonna convert this Duraspark II carb'd system to batch fire EEC IV.

I have inherited a motor i built for a buddy of mine
d0 casting 302 block
c6 289 heads
studed heads
1.6 something inch stainless intake valves
1.9 something inch stainless exhaust valves
1.6 roller rockers
cam lift is .496intake and .520exhaust
cam duration is 290intake and 300exhaust
forged 40 over pistons
decked block
shaved heads @ .020
high volume oil pump
high volume fuel pump
some sort of bad ass springs, not sure what brand
600 something eldebrock carb (use to have a holly 750 double pumper) ,,,going to invent a cfi concept
chrome summit add ons and air cleaner/valve covers
high end head gaskets from what i remember
pos duraspark  but oh well
new gear set and chain
found the stroker kit for it
hope i can figure out a way to put injectors on the intake later down the line
converting to batch fire CFI
D2 aluminum mustang intake for 2bbl purchased for 20bux today (replaces the high rise carb'd intake)
shopping for a DIS for it
I want to get the transmission shop to take my spare aod and make it a standard automatic.

306 swap in work

Reply #4
Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87
you can use the factory mounts if im not mistaken they will bolt to the block, and transmission has the same bolt pattern.

not on this block.,, the mounts bolt to engine in a vertical situation.  My 3.8 mounts bolt to the block at a 45 deg situation.

306 swap in work

Reply #5
i belive any bird or cats 5.0 mounts will work. but chuck made some realy nice looking mounts talk to him
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

306 swap in work

Reply #6
cam duration is 290intake and 300exhaust[/QUOTE

lol thats my old flat tappit cams specs what brand cam are those specs from  mine was a blue reacer..

Nick
there's only about a half a dozen man made objects that are herd by the human ear below 40Hz,a pipe organ,thunder,the space shuttle lifting off,a jet airplane taking off or landing,a large canon,an atomic bomb ignited in your back yard and the heat wave afterward oh wait you would be dead so you would'nt hear it scratch that!,and maybe beating your hear against a wall less then 40 times a second..rap music is'nt one of them!thats 40-60Hz@100+db the moving air is under 40Hz

306 swap in work

Reply #7
Um, I got one word...  ChuckW  (motor mounts)
One 88

306 swap in work

Reply #8
You need the upper brackets that bolts to the block and the 5.0 insulators, lower bracket should be the same(at least it is on the 2.3 and 5.0). ONLY '86-'88 5.0 Birds/Cougs used this type mounts... All 289/302/5.0/351W use the same spaced bolt holes in the block, the 221 and early 260 used a narrower spacing between the bolts, I believe the late 260 was same as later engines ...

306 swap in work

Reply #9
Hey Tom, I have a little bit more uselfull 3.8 info... the bases on 3.8 cars are different than the 5.0's..  they shift the isolator to one side more than the 5.0
One 88

306 swap in work

Reply #10
What you want to do is either get chucks motor mounts(obviously) or swap out to a 85-83 cougar/tbird or 79-93? mustang  kmember and use mustang motor mounts. That way when stuff breaks you can buy new ones.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

306 swap in work

Reply #11
Quote from: Blown306Cougar
cam duration is 290intake and 300exhaust[/QUOTE

lol thats my old flat tappit cams specs what brand cam are those specs from  mine was a blue reacer..

Nick

I remember the box had the word "BLUE" in is and i think your right, blue racer was the brand.  It was a company that got purchased by crane cams i think several years ago. Its a pretty old cam but has hardly no miles on it.  Wolverine blue racer i think.

As for the motor mounts,,, im coming off the block with a piece of flat steel and landing directly on top of the existing mount.  The mounts will be done today,, hopefully the engine in and running as well.

306 swap in work

Reply #12
Quote from: CougarSE
Hey Tom, I have a little bit more uselfull 3.8 info... the bases on 3.8 cars are different than the 5.0's..  they shift the isolator to one side more than the 5.0

Thanks Claude, I remember there were four mounting holes in the 2.3/5.0 lowers and they each used different holes, but brackets were same... I have the 2.3 lowers in mine as the mounts were bad(as in a long long time) in the 5.0 parts car and the lower brackets were so beat up I didn't want to use them...

Even the large right side '87-'88 2.3 insulater is the same as 5.0 as I swapped one into the left side on a '86 5.0 Bird with no issue... I suspect the left(smaller in diameter) TC insulator can swap as well. I gave the only one I had to the son-in-law for the daughters old TC...

306 swap in work

Reply #13
well, apparently ive overlooked something simple. the mounts are going well, got distracted with other things.  It seems now that its a holiday weekend, i wont be able to hit the jy and find a shallower oil pan.  the one i have reminds you of a 5 gallon bucket:rollin:

Ill have to figure out a work around on this one , hopefully one of my buddies has a pan.  Going shallower bothers me casue my when it was running, the hight volume oil pump would like to drop from about 120 psi to around 60 or so if you gun it going at high speed,,,,guess ibetter keep my foot out of it.

306 swap in work

Reply #14
Guys,, are these the motor mount block brakets you all are talking about?

johns331 pic,,,,,,,, been researching cardomain sites.