Skip to main content

Poll

What should I do?

Total Members Voted: 51

Topic: As God is my witness I know not what to do... (Read 7850 times) previous topic - next topic

As God is my witness I know not what to do...

Reply #60
Carm, heres what i would do.

I would put together a half decent 5.0. Even if its just doing an HO conversion and some bolt ons. You already have that engine in the car, at the moment, so it wouldnt cost anything to swap since its in there. Do a set of long tubes, set up the exhaust nicely, do the 5-speed swap, bigger brakes, and everything of that nature.

Then while you still have a peppy, fun driver, you can get on that 351, get it ready to go, and once you do, itll only be a matter of swapping engines because youll have the car set up for the 5-speed, youll have the exhaust ready, youll have the bigger brakes, etc etc.

Once the swap is done, you can throw the 5.0 on a stand, and use it for your next project.

As for 351's having more problems...its all in who builds it. If youve got some numbnut who just buys some bearings and rings, slaps it together, calls it build, and doesnt break it in properly, yeah its going to have problems. If its properly build, balanced, blueprinted, and a well assembled combination, itll be a rocket, and itll be durable.

Same thing goes with stroker kits, its all in who builds it and the quality of the kit.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #61
Quote from: daboss351
that alone SHOULD HAUL ASS seeing as the 351w does 90 quite easy in 3rd.

My 2.3L does 90 in third...
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #62
"Do the HO/T5 thing. Since the 88's engine is still low mileage (about 65k) I wouldn't get into the bottom end. Just a set of E7 heads, a set of 19lb injectors, HO cam, HO intake, and some minor aftermarket upgrades such as headers, TB, etc. "

The 5.0 in the '88s were SOs.  They had a different firing order than the HOs, so the cam wouldnt work unless you changed the crank and the computer.

I'm doing a 351 Efi swap, and it isn't too hard so far.  The only thing different is the lower manifold and fuel rails, but I still found a gt40 lower for a good price.  Clearence may be an issue, so a hood scoop may be needed.  I'm near done and have spent about $2,300, even with honing and boring.
1988 Thunderbird Sport (1st car)
351W in the works
"I'll get it one piece at a time...":D

Quote from: bhazard;300566
You got woman'd.

Reply #63
You're kidding about that changing the crank thing, aren't you? SO-HO upgrades are commonplace round this messageboard, and are very well dospoogeented. Yes, you have to change the computer and cam, but the crank doesn't have to go anywhere - SO and HO cranks are identical. With any 4, 6, 8, 10 or 12 cylinder engine, every time a piston is at TDC on the compression stroke, there's another piston at TDC on the exhaust stroke. The HO (or 351) firing order simply changes a few of the TDC's around.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #64
A few truck guy's, after going to HO, just change their plug wires around...DUnno if that'd work for us, but I fail to see why it wouldn't...

And changing the crank, for an HO..:screwy: :bs:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #65
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek
A few truck guy's, after going to HO, just change their plug wires around...DUnno if that'd work for us, but I fail to see why it wouldn't...

And changing the crank, for an HO..:screwy: :bs:

Yes, you do have to change some plug wires around, but that's it. The HO EEC will automatically fire the injectors in the correct order
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #66
Hmmm, I thought trucks used the batch firing method?
One 88

Reply #67
They do...that's about all I know, that stuff is still a gray area to me as of yet, someone else will have a definite answer though:D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #68
Quote from: CougarSE
Hmmm, I thought trucks used the batch firing method?
They do. I was referring to the SO-->HO upgrade. When doing a truck you'd need a new harness, as the injectors are wired together in two sets of four.

Reply #69
Quote from: Tbird232ci
My 2.3L does 90 in third...

Mine does 100, the point is how fast it gets there!!! Ahhhh, this is an easy question!

2.3!!!!!!!!!
Long time Turboford freak...
84 SVO
88 TC
87 XR4Ti