Skip to main content
Topic: Cobra Engine Craigslist Score! (Read 14285 times) previous topic - next topic

Cobra Engine Craigslist Score!

I wasn't really shopping for an engine. I had my old supercharger listed on craigslist and this got offered up as a trade. It's complete ready to run 94 Cobra engine with 89k on it. The guy had pulled it 3 years ago in favor of a built 347 for his drag car. It had been sitting unused in his garage. Of coarse I jumped on it.
Engine swapping will begin immediately:D Anyone have experience with this swap?

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #1
Let the fun begin. Gonna be redoing my intercooler piping in stainless also. I want to weld it in a few places so I have less couplings to worry about. Also planning to upgrade the clutch while the engine is out. Tom was right about Spec clutches. This Spec is not holding the power it claimed it could.

So plans are:

-New FMIC piping
-mass air conversion
-Cobra engine
-Upgrade clutch (maybe ACT)
-Paint and install TC header panel

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #2
Lucky lucky!!!

Reply #3
The TC header panel will be a great addition!

I want a boosted v8 some kinda bad! Lol
...and there was light!

Reply #4
You've already got the 5.0....you'll need to change your EEC though. I'd imagine an A9L will work great.
If you've got a set ready to go, I'd suggest some GT40's and changing the upper to a '93 Cobra style (to eliminate the freaky "elbow")

Use your car's existing engine harness, and call it done. :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #5
No experience with the exact swap your doing, since I used the stock panther SEFI harness which is a bit different, and the intake to has to be flipped, but I do have the 93 Cobra cam in mine. Great piece, finally made the sluggish E7 headed H.O. wake up below 2500rpm. I couldn't ever see going back to the stock HO cam now.

Reply #6
Generally you need quite a bit more rating hp rating out of a clutch than what you need I learned this from doing clutches twice on many cars... I got a really nice custom turbo grind from Ray Gab at comp cams if you are wanting a turbo cam. It is a hydraulic roller with 565 lift so you still use the stock spyder tray.

Reply #7
I have this cam for sale if your interested.

Cam: $150 OBO
CompCam HR#35-000-8
Intake 236 / .362 / 1.6 / 579 / 112+4 adv
Exhaust 242 / .360 / 576 /
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #9
Yes, it already has GT-40's and 1.7 roller rockers if it's as Ford made it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #10
Yes,  GT40 heads and I believe crane roller rockers. 24lb injectors. Under rated from what I hear at 240hp.

Reply #11
Personally, I would go ahead and upgrade to some real performance heads, before dropping that in, since this will be the easiest time possible to do so.

Reply #12
I think I will run the motor as is for now. I need to invest my money in a stronger clutch and transmission first. Anyway, I have a  on my boost controller that I can turn up or down that allows me to run as much horse power as the rest of the car can handle.
I've been pretty slammed for time to work on the car lately, but I managed to remove my hood, pull my turbo stuff out, the radiator, and a few other things. Also picked up a new engine stand.

Here's a good shot of the hot piping for the turbo before pulling it.

Reply #13
Just a FYI you'll need to drill and tap a hole in the #5 intake runner for the ACT sensor so the lower will have to come off. I'd sell the upper to a 94-95 Mustang guy and use the funds to buy a Fox Cobra upper/tubular GT40 upper/Explorer upper as they all flow the same.

You're going to need to swap to MAF to run those 24lb injectors. You'll need an A9L or A9P and a calibrated MAF. Don't use a 94-95 GT/Cobra computer as they won't work with your stock wiring. The MAF swap is easy. If you have any questions about it just ask here or drop me a line. It took me three hours (maybe) to swap the computer, move two pins in the harness, and run the wires for the MAF meter. It is really stupid easy :D.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #14
Yeah, I was going to get a calibrated maf with some 42lb injectors injectors and a A9L. I could definitely use your info on the harness mod. I'm at the shop right now getting the engine ready to come out. I'm exhausted from work, but super excited to get this done.