Skip to main content
Topic: HO Swap Fuel Problem (Read 7535 times) previous topic - next topic

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #45
What's the status?????
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #46
Went by this past Tuesday.  He's got the sheathing off of the engine harness and says he's tracing a short somewhere.  Wires under the hood are a mess.  Looks like he started tracing back from the "salt and pepper shakers".  My gut tells me the issue isn't the harness, but he says he hooked the original ECM back up and the injectors still wouldn't pulse.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #47
Talked to him on Thursday of last week.  He had the harness all back together. He said he checked each wire as well as all of the fusible links and did not find any problems.  This came as no surprise to me.  He said that he hooked up the original SO computer and still couldn't get the injectors to fire.  So we are going to get another HO computer and give it a try.  Hopefully that is the cause of the issue, although I cannot explain why the car ran fine with the original ECM before and now putting the original back in doesn't change the problem, which is the injectors not getting the ground pulse that causes them to spray fuel.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #48
You ever get this figured out???  If not sounds like a ground problem.  These harnesses are allot like the mustangs. And on the mustang harness there is a gorund by the starter relay, for the engine hanress. And if not hooked up injectors wont fire, and fuel pump wont work right.  Found this out hard years ago when doing a 4 cyl swap.  The ground had a round type plug, and was cut off hanress I was using. Wasnt sure what it went to until I tried starting car, had no fuel pump and injectors wouldnt fire. After allot of headaches and searching wires, grounded that wire and car fired up.
88 T-Bird Sport-- H.O conversion, GT40 heads, FMS 1.6 RR's, Cobra/EXP intake, 65mm TB, MAC headers, X-pipe, 05GT lers, TC 8.8 with 3.73's.

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #49
Hey guess what?  He still has the car!  It's my fault, I know.  It just hasn't been a priority and now it's been sitting for a couple years.  I'll get it done one way or another...
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #50
Jim, have you thought about trying another 5.0 engine harness?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #51
I have.  Just been saving money so I could get some stuff done.  I know this sounds dumb, but I would feel like I was letting the car down if I didn't find a way to get it back on the road.  I've owned it for ten years and it was a good car for most of those years.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #52
i have the same  problem with my white coug.... been sitting way too long.

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #53
May be a dumb question but did you ever think to swap the distributor for a known working one?  If the hall effect sensor in the distributor is not working it will not fire the injectors.  There is also a ground wire coming off the harness that is behind the passenger side valve cover.  I believe it is orange and should connect to either the bell housing bolt or the fire wall.  This is all based on my injection knowledge from Mustangs as my '83 is carbed.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #54
I don't know if the mechanic that I have payed to fix this problem has thought to do that, but one would believe that he would have the necessary knowledge to properly troubleshoot such an issue.  He has said he has checked and rechecked all the grounds to make sure they were good.  The bottom line is that I think I am just going to have to take it to someone else as it seems that this guy has obviously given up. It's frustrating when someone is running a business but they just blatantly do people wrong like this.  It makes me want to take out a full page ad in the local paper to let everyone else know what happened so he doesn't get anymore business.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #55
I would find a known good dizzy. Do not install it in the motor but connect the engine harness and plug wires to it.  Turn the key to the run position and then go under the hood and spin the dizzy slowly.  You should be able to hear the injectors fire.  I had the hall effect sensor on my 85 TC go out on me at college and a friend of mine told me to do this.  I bought a new hall effect from Ford and installed it.  Tried it again and injectors went to firing.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

HO Swap Fuel Problem

Reply #56
Hmm.  That is an interesting way of testing you described.  Thank you!
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0