Skip to main content
Topic: Big block 545 stroker swap!!! Many pics and info included!! (Read 15336 times) previous topic - next topic

Big block 545 stroker swap!!! Many pics and info included!!

Hey everybody!! Im working on my 1985 Thunderbird and swapped a 545 big block into it!

This is the combination:

545 big block, assembled by Troy at FPS (Ford performance solutions)
Kaase P51 heads, unported w/ beehive springs
RPM crank and I-beam rods
Ross forged (.030 over) pistons, which should make about 11:1

custom hydraulic roller cam - 248/253 @ .50 duration (yes I had these backwards back in my thread about exhaust pipe size) ..
.643/.635" valve lift with 1.73 rockers, 112 LSA

1050 dominator, with untouched victor intake, smoothened passeges of ports and the  but kept the cloverleaf design

We're using a C4 tranny built by Dynamic transmissions, rollerized and what not which should handle about 1000 horses, along with their own 9.5" convertor, and a JW bellhousing.. 

**the way we decided to mount the C4 trans was that we broke the welds on the factory crossmember (which was initially for an AOD)... and we moved the member as far forward as it allowed and re-welded it.. now it aligns perfectly with the trans mount

more on this, the shifter we just mounted is a Hurst pistol-grip Quarter stick that has a roll control button on it... should look killer and function well!

also, we're using a set of hooker super comp 2" swap headers and modified the #7 header tube (3rd tube on driver side header), so that it would clear the UNISTEER steering shaft U-joints

we're also using Hooker's swap mounts.... and here is some VERY important information on this...

*****!!!!!!! MAKE SURE THAT WHEN YOU USE THESE MOUNTS, ADAPT THEM TO THE ENGINE SO THAT IT WILL ALLOW IT TO SIT AS LOW AND FAR BACK AS THEY ALLOW!!!!!*****

....other than all that.... we're using a stock k-member and control arms for now... but later on we're planning to use an AJE k-member and control arm set, with coil overs.....and a set of Dynatech 2-1/8" headers

plus which, we will then replace the weak 7.5" with a built 8.8" with either 3.55 or 3.73 gears... and we'll also replace the rear factory upper and lower control arms with pieces from CHE performance

other than that.. here are my pics!.. updates soon to come!

Reply #1
Sick and wrong! It's awesome lol.
Video when it get's fired up??
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
what a sleeper, I'm loving it! 

Are you planning on earning a return on that investment?
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
Cool ride !  :burnout:

Thanks for posting.
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #4
Nice Bird !!!!! I love the look of it with the single exhaust tip out back.Are you keeping that?What else is in store for the old car?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
Quote from: vinnietbird;307959
Nice Bird !!!!! I love the look of it with the single exhaust tip out back.Are you keeping that?What else is in store for the old car?

lol no no, those pics of the single exhaust is when we first got the car and put a set of 275/60 BFG's on the rears... i already cut off the exhaust, no way that this car is staying factory stock

as you can see.. we're doing a big block swap... and no way 700 horses is factory stock lol

although its in pretty good shape.. (32,000 miles :hick:)...  we're prob gonna get a new paint job when it's all finished... or for the most part of it..

and i really REALLY hope that....well since this car is in my father's name... that we don't sell it in order to build another project like we last did with our 72 mustang with a 393 cleveland in it...  I miss that car, UNBELIEVABLY responsive that engine was... ahh mann

Reply #6
Quote from: t3skidoo;307950
what a sleeper, I'm loving it! 

Are you planning on earning a return on that investment?

Thanks! ....ehhh.. return?....  lol well, im kinda hoping that we keep the car itself ..and if we plan to build another engine... then I hope it'll go in this car.. since its virtually identical to a stang and uses almost all the same parts

I dont really want to think about selling the car any time soon.. we just started building it... but that's just me.. I kinda get attached to certain things lol

Reply #7
Interesting.

If you have still have it, I'll take that old CFI air cleaner lid off you.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #8
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;307949
Sick and wrong! It's awesome lol.
Video when it get's fired up??

Sick and wrong!!?? lmao love it!!    Oh you're def gonna see a video when it's fired up... and doing something like this... :burnout:

:shakeass: to chevy's....

Reply #9
Might need some SFC's in there lol.

Also that C4 likes TINY behind that thing. You sure its gonna hold?
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #10
Quote from: bhazard;308002
Might need some SFC's in there lol.

Also that C4 likes TINY behind that thing. You sure its gonna hold?

lol....wait.....what's an SFC?

oh the C4 will handle.. I'm more than sure, and know plenty of people with big block/C4's and running 9's over and over... and all of em last!!

Our tranny was built by dynamic, I believe the particular version was called the M2... rollerized planetary and what not... should handle at least 1000 horses

Reply #11
SFC = Subframe connector.

The cage in the car will help some however.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #12
cool! now that engine is worth the time and money for the swap your doing!
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

Reply #13
Quote from: Chuck W;308005
SFC = Subframe connector.

The cage in the car will help some however.

Oh!... we already had subframe connects installed at the same time as the cage..

Crazy Don in Oceanside, NY did both the subframe connectors and the cage...  I don't remember what material was used for the connectors, but the cage was made with chromoly tubing ;)

Reply #14
Quote from: rancheronut;308014
cool! now that engine is worth the time and money for the swap your doing!

Not enough that you got called in Chuck's thread on your narrow-mindedness, that now you've got to run your your trap in someone else's thread too?

Ass. :flip::flame:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6