Skip to main content
Topic: EFI 300 I6 plus forced induction (long post) (Read 15209 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: EFI 300 I6 plus forced induction (long post)

Reply #60
Yeah, I was inspired by a picture I found of a Pinto SD. Got me thinking about using an 83-86 Cougar back window as the tailgate window, and it went from there. Although now, I don't know if I would do that or just get a custom sheet of glass or lexan or something. I'd like to have a rear defogger with it, though.

Seems somewhat oddly appropriate to combine an engine known for reliably haulin' stuff around in pickups with a T-bird that can haul a little more than normal. The other possible candidate to do this would be my '88 LSC due to the lower trunk opening, (no taillights in the way) but that would remove what makes it a Continental.

I should make a separate thread for the S.D. part of it.

EFI 300 I6 plus forced induction (long post)

Reply #61
im going to bring this back up due to im a new guy and have a spare 300 that needs to go somewhere. does anybody need more info measurements for the 300? the one i have sitting is a fuel injected version i also have a carbed one being run in my truck. i am mostly serious about this. i like how the inline 6 runs and i have never been a real fan of a v8. in fact typing v8 seems almost like typing a profane word.  it just doesnt belong in polite company. any ways, if you guyes are still interrested in this swap i would love to go over info on it and maby some day i could get it to happen.
thanks
jeremy

Reply #62
There's no need to antagonize the V8 fans here, really. You'll find that it's a majority of the users here.

I don't think anyone's ready to move ahead with such a swap.. so measurements aren't required yet. If you wanna do some, go for it. I've got a few things in the way of doing mine.

Reply #63
I don't have time to read this whole post right now, but it sounds like an awesome idea.  I had an '84 F-150 with the 300 and the NP-435 trans.  I put some traction bars on that pig with a 3" open exhaust after the first cat(which had no guts left to it) and used it to race civics on the weekends.  Awesome engine, awesome reliability.  I love the idea of 7 main caps for 6 cylinders versus 5 main caps for 8 cylinders.  If you can do it, DO IT!
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #64
this weekend im going to start measuring to see if it can actuly be done in an economical fasion. i need to get the 302 running anyway so i can get the engine in the garrage put into the truck but then the one in the truck will be ready to be rebuilt and put in the car if i have the funding to do it.

Reply #65
another

*bump*

TTTtttttt.....
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #66
That would be great if someone else beat me/us to it. Whomever does it first can give some useful feedback to the rest of us who are interested.. hopefully make it easier.

It was pointed out to me that it would be less unique if more people did it.. well, true.. but still, even if a dozen of us (for example) did it, that's 12 T-birds/Cougars/Mark VIIs among how many? (not counting the turbo-diesel I6 Marks) Those of you looking for uniqueness could probably live with that kind of numbers.

Reply #67
thats alot more unique than leaving the 302 in it or building a ricer or having a v8 at all

Reply #68
I dont want to beat a dead horse - but I'd also like to see a 300 in a fox car. 

Im surprised no one has mentioned using a 240 car oil pan.  That would hopefully solve any oil pan clearance problems - or at least come alot closer.  The 240 was a short-stroke 300 that was identical in all external dimensions, and available in full size Ford cars in the mid to late 60's.  The biggest problem would be locating a passenger car pan, but I'm sure hooking up with a Galaxie or other full size car club could net you some results. 

I also think the fox I6 crossmember would be a must - inline six (small or big) motor mount bosses sit much further up front on the block that V8s - I watched some friends learn this the hard way when replacing a 300 with a 302 in a Van and using the OG crossmember - the 302 was so far forward it poked out of the grille. 

And my snap-judgement is that the the Stock EFI intake would be virtually impossible to fit under the hood without looking stupid - it curves up and sits over the valve cover (remember that already tall 10" deck?) 

but i'd really like to see this done, in fact I have a spare 300 that I might save for a Tbird or Cougar when the 'Mont is done. 

Cheap and effective - carb'd 300 with a 4bbl intake, 500-600 CFM carb, opened up heads (maybe with SBC valves if you shiznit money), hot street cam, flat tops + big carb'd chamber for around 9:1, and some kind of header (probably have to hack up a truck header for the  & stubs then have the rest fabricated).  Then an AOD, and 3.55 gears.  Simple, Quick, Good highway cruising - and all without breaking the bank. 

I couldnt even imagine the horror of trying to make an EEC work in a swap like this - As far as EFI goes, I'd just megasquirt the  and be done with it