Skip to main content
Topic: MegaSquirt II (Read 11689 times) previous topic - next topic

MegaSquirt II

Reply #1
I've had the MS1 running Mshagtra code in the TBird for a while now, and I have one for each of the Volvos sitting here waiting for install.

The upside is the tunability. The downside is the tunability. I still need to tweak and dial in the tune on the TBird, but that's just a matter of taking the time to do it.

I haven't looked into running any of the MS2 stuff, mainly because I haven't felt I *needed* to, but the resolution and processing ability is better.

The biggest thing is to take the time to RTFM, which 90% of people don't do.  It's not difficult, but there are some folks who have no place even thinking about attempting the conversion.

It's a great system, that while beyond my abilities to have formulated on my own, is a very useful tool. It can be a very cost-effective tuning solution if you have the skills to build your own box and harness.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

MegaSquirt II

Reply #3
I used the relay box on the TBird, but I also built a new harness. I don't plan on using a relay box on either of the Volvos.

Seeing as the stock wiring is probably getting a little sketchy, I'd suggest a new harness.

I'm not too familiar with the new surface-mount board set-up, but I think for your average user, there's a point of diminishing returns on performance vs cost with some of the "upper end" MS stuff.

MegaSquirt II

Reply #4
I agree, to the average guy, SMD would be more trouble than it's worth, but I've got mad skills and it makes me feel good to put them to the test.  I'd just been all the way through the new car's engine harness, and I feel pretty good about it.  I think once the car isn't my DD anymore it'll make more sense to run MSII, for now maybe I'll just start gathering parts.

MegaSquirt II

Reply #5
Foe,

Did you ever go the MegaSquirt route?  I am thinking of ditching the A9L and SCT chip in my Coupe and running the MegaSquirtPNP with a wide band.  The reason for this is I just don't think that out of the three different guys that have dyno tuned my car anyone of them was willing to spend the time to get everything out of the combo let alone get this mofookie to idle at 850 or so.  I am pretty decent with a computer but being a mechanical engineer my programming skills are shiznit.  I just don't want to get in over my head.  Anyhow, just checking to see if you did the conversion or not.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

MegaSquirt II

Reply #6
I'm thinking of making my own ECU based on Megasquirt 3 daughterboard using stock ECU case. Price of this solution seems to be very reasonable and I can use just components I really need. Every circuit is well dospoogeented, so creating it shouldn't be a big deal.
The biggest pro is hard routing without tons of wires inside the case, like all DIY PNP units have. Only disadvantage for me is, that they don't have any basic setup for 2.3T yet.

MegaSquirt II

Reply #8
I think I am going to go ahead and go for it but its going to be a few months until I can scratch up the funds as I want to run two wide band O2 sensors.  This will allow for better tuning as I can data log each bank since each one will have a wide band.  Its a lot of $$$ but I think in the long run I will at least break even with not having to go to a tuner and pay them plus dyno time as well as I can sell my A9L & SCT chip to recover some of the cost.  Hopefully I can get it all bought before the end of March and start getting it installed so I can have some decent temperatures to tune the car being that late April and May are usually really nice here in OK.

Darren

MegaSquirt II

Reply #9
Have you thought about the 14point7 stuff for your WBO2? I've currently got one of their SLC Free B units that I've been using on the Volvo. You have to assemble the controller and make your own enclosure and harness (if you want a display), but it was under $100, with a Bosch 4.9 sensor.
I made up mine so I can swap it between vehicles to do tuning, but you could build it in and make use of the NB output once tuning is done.

MegaSquirt II

Reply #10
Bosch LSU4.9 isn't the best idea I think. It may have some advantages (no calibration required), but has many drawbacks. The biggest issue is its short service life.

MegaSquirt II

Reply #11
I am going to run a wide band O2 on each exhaust bank and leave them installed all the time.  The MS can take the signal from them and use them so that each bank has its own signal which makes for easier tuning via the data logging.  These will simply replace the stock O2 sensors.  There are several guys with Mustangs doing this for some time now and like the results and so far the wide band O2's are surviving just fine.  I believe they are using the Innovate LC-1's but I will keep digging around to see if there are other options.  Not necessarily cheaper, just better.

Darren

MegaSquirt II

Reply #12
Darren,

I am currently "stalled out" with my EFI swap using MS 3.57. I believe I just need to add some RF filters on the Crank sensor wire and she'll run, but I'm glad I have other vehicles so I can walk away from it for however long I feel the need to.  I'm just going to use a single LC-1 wideband for now.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

MegaSquirt II

Reply #13
anyone with updates.... i remember wanting to go to MS back in the early 2000's but back then they did not yet have a ford setup for TFI ready out of the box... lots have changed since then.

MegaSquirt II

Reply #14
I'm still runnin ms2. Forget witch version. Remote  Tfi.  I assembled my own board.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done